Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,813   Posts: 1,581,577   Online: 932

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Question for knowledgeable Canon users

I've only used Nikon equipment in 35mm so I'm lost when it comes to Canon gear, but I'd really like to buy a Canon TSE 24mm (latest version) so I need a Canon film body. No idea which one to get.

I know Canon doesn't make any film bodies anymore so on the used market I'd like to buy one of the most recent ones they did make (just so I don't have to get something really old), that would work with this lens (electronic diaphragm, no aperture ring I think). I don't care about the camera's metering capabilities (I use my own spot meter) or AF capabilities. The only must-have is mirror lockup.

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A quick google search shows that the EOS1n has a mode that allows pictures to be taken with the mirror up. Its an electronic function rather than a traditional MLU button. It holds the mirror up for a maximum of 30 seconds if I understand the function properly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Canon EOS film cameras are generally terrible to use with MLU (and the digital ones too, but not quite as much of a PITA). With the film cameras, you need to memorize the number of the custom function to set. However, if that is your ONLY use for the body, it won't be a hassle. you just leave it on MLU mode all the time.

I'd go for an EOS 3, especially if that will be your only use for the camera. They feel like a pro body when using them and looking through the viewfinder, but they are cheaper and lighter. It is the best $200-or-less AF camera on the used market, IMHO.

But what don't you like about the Nikon version of the same lens?
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    24mm is one of my favourite focal lengths, but I am always disappointed by the offerings. I don't care about speed, bokeh etc. I just want the sharpest lens, with the least distortion I can get. By all accounts (test reports, magazines) the Canon TS-E is the best lens around in that focal length (aside from the 14-24mm Nikkor which doesn't take filters and also has no aperture ring). It is sharp all over the frame, and has very low distortion for a lens in that focal length. That is important to me as I do alot of photographs that need straight, square lines.

Tilt-shift was not strictly a requirement for me in 24mm (although it will be useful under certain circumstances). The PC-E Nikkors in 45mm and 85mm are wonderful lenses and I use them alot, but I don't think the 24mm version is as good as the Canon, especially in the distortion department. Otherwise I'd get the Nikkor. The PC-E Nikkor also have electronic diaphragms so I have to use them on an old F4 instead of my usual F3, but at least they have aperture rings, which is more than I can say for the new Nikkor 24mm 1.4G, which is the same price as the Canon TS-E, but with more distortion.

Shooter
    35mm
    You can still buy an EOS-1V, Canon latest and greatest 35mm SLR. It's kinda expensive but you can still get it and it's new at Adorama.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There has to be a 24mm lens out there that is good enough for your needs without resorting to buying a whole other camera and a lens of a different brand. This is worth a read: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/comparisons/24mm/.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah I've read his stuff.

My fallback position is to just stick with my 24mm 2.8 AF-D Nikkor I guess. I can't see investing big money into any of the other newer Nikon offerings for that focal length. The 24mm 1.4G, 14-24mmG, and that other zoom (16-35 or 17-35 f4, can't remember). They are all outrageously (in my opinion) expensive for what you get, and image quality is probably only marginally better than the lowly 24mm 2.8 AF-D, if any better at all.

The Canon seemed like it would offer a true step-up plus tilt/shift capability so that's why I was looking into it. I actually don't find it that ridiculous to resort to buying a whole other camera for a specific lens, if the camera is cheap enough. As film users that it pretty much the world we are relegated to, given the new lens designs. I should be able to use any Nikkor on my F3, but no. I would have to buy an F5 or F6 to use with any of the G lenses since they have no aperture rings. And I have an F4 just for the PC-E lenses (although I was lucky enough to get a virtually new F4 for $200 so that really didn't bother me too much).

I don't understand this Canon mirror lock-up thing though.

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Canon has a thing with MLU. For some reason they really hate that feature and bury it away somewhere in the custom functions, if available at all. I'm not sure, but I seem to recall that lower models automatically lock up the mirror when you use the self-timer ("mirror prefire"). If you don't want to spend too much money, the EOS 30/Elan 7 has true (albeit electronical) MLU and can be had for less than 100$.

Shooter
    35mm
    I personally use the Minolta Rokkor 24/2.8 which I find excellent.

I went to see if Ken Rockwell has a review of it. It has it.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/minolta/24.htm

Distortion is very mild barrel, better than the Nikkor 24mm f/2.8.
    It's sharp, even at f/2.8. This is better than the Nikon Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 which gets fuzzy in the corners wide open.

I don't know about the Minolta AF mount version. This is the Minolta SR mount version, which I use.

You could buy an inexpensive Minolta SRT-101 with MLU or similar. Beware that SRT cameras come in many versions, not all of them have mirror lock-up. If they have, you can see it from a round button near the lens mount.

Hope this helps
    Fabrizio
    Last edited by Diapositivo; 07-03-2011 at 07:27 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hallo,

I have a couple of EOS1n which I use with the mirror lock up facility, once it is undwerstood it is *fairly* easy!

There is no old-style switch or lever to lock the mirror up. Most (if not all) EOS cameras have "Custom Functions" which is essentially a list of sub-menus that appear on the small LCD display on the top of the camera. On the EOS1n the list is initially accessed by a small button behind the palm door on the right hand side of the camera (it is the top button). On initially pressing the CF (custom function) button one is taken to the last CF that was accessed. A indication appears on the screen of which CF is is i.e. CF12 or CF5 - but not what it does(!) and some indication of its' status i.e. CF5 0 or CF5 1 or CF52. The status for each CF is altered by the top scroll wheel and the desired setting is activated on exiting the CF sub-menu by pressing the small CF buton again (inside the palm door).

As no written or visual clue appears on the screen for each CF, other than CF5 or CF12, the pupose of each CF does need to be remembered or writen down somewhere. Having said that when I got the cameras new there was a set of stickers with visuals for the CF - seven of which could be stuck on the inside of the door. I have mirror lock up, AEB, metering, leader out, AF button etc stickers inside the palm doors of both cameras. Very useful (bet there is an i-pod CF app somewhere!). Additionally, the last accessed CF will be the one that appears when the sub-menu is accessed, it does not revert to starting at CF1 each time the sub-menu is accessed.

The mirror lock-up on the EOS1n, once set by the CF12 means that the first time the shutter is pressed all the way, the mirror lock-up, the exposure is taken on the next press of the shutter button, I use it with the cable release and it works fine - though the thread of the cable relase is very fine and sometimes not the easiest in the world to get started!

As far as I remember the EOS1 had a similar arrangement & would expect the EOS1v to follow suit.

Hope that is of some help.

Sim2.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin