Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,895   Posts: 1,520,953   Online: 898

Shooter
    Multi Format

Dust or dirt or fungus ??? inside lens?

I have a Nikkor 35mm 1.4 AIS that I bought new in 2000, used very little at the time and then had been in the box ever since. If I look through the lens in bright light at full aperture, I can see some small dots or specks inside the lens which could be dust or something. First, how can anything get in there? Second, is it possible this is the fungus people talk about? I have never seen that before so I don't even know what it looks like. ???

Michael

Shooter
    35mm
    Over a period of time, most lenses will collect bits of dust internally and generally this will not affect your images in any way. Even if the lens was literally infested with dirt, it would only affect the contrast more than anything else. I myself have some old lenses which have specs of dirt/dust in between the lens elements and can assure you that they are as sharp as they have ever been. Zoom lenses are more prone to this than fixed prime lenses. They can be stripped down and cleaned, but to be honest with you I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

As for fungus, the first signs are like a "spider web" which spreads from the outer edge of the lens towards the middle. This can happen if the lens has been stored in humid conditions for some considerable time. If this is what you have with your lens, then I would keep it separate from your other lenses until you have it cleaned down.
    Carl.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That is helpful, thanks. No it doesn't look anything like a spiderweb or anything like that. Just some random spots/specks.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    That is helpful, thanks. No it doesn't look anything like a spiderweb or anything like that. Just some random spots/specks.
    In this case, you have nothing to worry about. Even lenses that are only a couple of years old can have the odd spec of dirt. However, fungus would be more of a problem and would certainly require attention.
    Carl.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin