Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,926   Posts: 1,585,072   Online: 865

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Nikon f90x and aperture readings

So i just bought an f90x nikon slr and thought it was working great until i realized something. When in Av or program mode, whenever i turn my aperture ring from say f1.4 to f16, the meter will read properly the correct shutter speed. However, when i turn the aperture ring the other way, the meter seems to be locked in f16 or whatever was last set before turning the ring the other way.

Right now i have to use M mode and use a handheld lightmeter. Works fine in M mode from what i can see.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sounds like a sticky AI coupling ring. If you remove the lens you'll see the coupling ring tab at the 2:00 position (camera on its back, prism at top). If it's been bent or is sticking, it could act precisely as you've described although it should do this in manual mode too. You can verify my theory by watching the tab with your lens mounted. If you turn the aperture ring, the tab should move along with the ring (it latches onto the AI coupling tab when you move the aperture ring in one direction, and returns under spring tension when you turn the ring the other direction).
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Any chance the return spring on the AI tab ring is busted? Since the tension of that spring isn't exactly light, I'm wondering whether "sticking" is really the problem. Worth a look?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My tab was bent once and it acted as the poster described, so that was my first theory, but a spring issue is also possible.

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    My tab was bent once and it acted as the poster described, so that was my first theory, but a spring issue is also possible.
    Mentioned it since I saw one a few years ago at a PHSC fair in Toronto with this problem and diagnosis. Could be the same here?

Shooter
    35mm
    If it was a sticky or bent coupling ring, wouldn't it happen with more than just this one lens?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
    If it was a sticky or bent coupling ring, wouldn't it happen with more than just this one lens?
    Not necessarily. Some aperture rings are tighter to the mount than others. If the ring doesn't contact the AI tab as tightly, a weak spring or a slightly bent tab might still work acceptably.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Presuming it is not bent, but it is sticky, can anyone suggest a home remedy? I have the same problem with one my Nikons.

Shooter
    35mm
    So it seems like a sticky Ai coupler. I move the aperture ring one way to f22 and its fine. Then I move it back but the ring stayd stuck - i can tell with the little tab since it stays still.

I move it manually with my finger with no lens mounted and its fine and always returns so I think my spring is fine. Maybe i need to lube the ring with oil?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    How did you end up fixing this?

Not necessarily. Some aperture rings are tighter to the mount than others. If the ring doesn't contact the AI tab as tightly, a weak spring or a slightly bent tab might still work acceptably.
    After messing around with my two nikon lenses, I found that one lens causes more of a problem than the other, but both end up causing the problem. Sounds like the Ai-coupling ring has resistance on it as I manually push and pull it.

Thinking of just picking up another F90X body... aiyah... but hoping not to go there if I can avoid it. Maybe if I can mount non-Ai coupling lenses on this camera I'll be fine. Or shoot in M mode with a light meter (seems to work!).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin