Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,505   Posts: 1,597,935   Online: 1256

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As all these cameras use the defunct film technology, most of these will be bought as collector's items rather than for actual use. Conversely, the market gap for DSLR or EVIL bodies to handle SLR lenses with classical mounts such as M42 seems as yet not to have gained the attention of Cosina.

All these cameras use film showing Cosina's unique position in the market filling the gap in demand for high quality film cameras and support a technology that is still evolving.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know how to edit it. I'm not sure I want to get involved with making and correcting wikis at this point. Rather share info on this forum.

This does bring up a 'lounge topic' in that I think we are heading for a new Dark Ages. Since info will be obtained from the 'net' and the main search engine is corrupt and the wikipedia is not formally peer-reviewed, society will keep geting farther and farther from the truth on many topics. Hip culture gurus favor connectivity over knowledge and truth. The Evolution Wiki will dispose with that 'obsolete' theory and the Creation Wiki will be resplendent with digitally-created, documentary style news 'photographs' detailing all 7 days of the process...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I occasionally get grumpy about a new dark ages, what with how obvious it is becoming how much disinformation there is out there, and the easy access we have to it. However, while disinformation and stupidity is all too readily accessible, access to good information is easy and reliable in a way that humanity has never had. If you go back even a couple of decades, people had only two or three trusted sources of information (radio, TV, newspapers) and if you go back a century that becomes only one. We know how much malign editorial influence newspaper/media owners (Hearst, Murdoch, etc) wield and yet for most of the western population, broadcast media has been their only real source of information, and that was considered fine.

In other words, one needs to be media-savvy. At least one now actually has the opportunity to be media-savvy, consider one's sources and find alternatives.

Shooter
    35mm
    I think the issue is really about how we have become accustomed to finding and using information. If we are content to just look up an answer vs learning how to arrive at an answer, that opens the door to blindly accepting any answer as 'the truth.' Gone are the days of verifying information - we now value speed over accuracy.

Polyglot has it right - we need to be media/information savvy. For me that means three basic questions: What's the source; Is the source reliable and Is it independently verifiable?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Same anonymous contributor writes on Seagull cameras "As of 2011, there seems to be no effort in moving into the field of comparable digital cameras."

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Much as I hate the fact to be realistic about it as far as the photographic manufacturing industry is concerned in terms of market share, and making a profit in the middle of a World recession making film cameras when there are so many on the second hand market that can be bought so cheaply is a dead duck.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    Much as I hate the fact to be realistic about it as far as the photographic manufacturing industry is concerned in terms of market share, and making a profit in the middle of a World recession making film cameras when there are so many on the second hand market that can be bought so cheaply is a dead duck.
    I'm not sure I agree because the current film cameras in production are NOT bought cheaply on the used market. Used M7? Used RolleiFW? Used Cosina R4M? Used F6? They are not bought so cheaply, otherwise I'd have one of each!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    I'm not sure I agree because the current film cameras in production are NOT bought cheaply on the used market. Used M7? Used RolleiFW? Used Cosina R4M? Used F6? They are not bought so cheaply, otherwise I'd have one of each!
    They are cheap relative to the cost of new top of the range digital cameras.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesper View Post
    I'm not even sure that I agree with the "most of these will be bought as collector's items rather than for actual use" part (and I most certainly don't agree with the "defunct" part).
    Whenever I buy another camera I always do it with the intent of using it and not as a collectible. Maybe I don't use it very much but that doesn't mean that it is part of a collection.

How about the rest of you?
    Don't you buy cameras with the intention of using them rather than something for your collection?
    I buy to use, collect and for parts.
    Out of the 20+ SLRs I own there are 4 or 5 that I use regularly, others occasionally, some are just to have, a couple are awaiting repair so they can be used, a couple are for parts.
    I see nothing wrong with collecting cameras just for the purpose of having them.There are literally millions of SLRs out there that need a home,if it is in working condition I probably would pull it out and shoot it occasionally.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    I suspect this uninformed, editorialism goes on all the time on the Wiki... From the "Cosina" Wiki with reference to 35mm cameras:
    It's not "the Wiki", it's Wikipedia. It's not the Cosina Wiki, it's the Cosina article.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    As all these cameras use the defunct film technology, most of these will be bought as collector's items rather than for actual use. Conversely, the market gap for DSLR or EVIL bodies to handle SLR lenses with classical mounts such as M42 seems as yet not to have gained the attention of Cosina.

All these cameras use film showing Cosina's unique position in the market filling the gap in demand for high quality film cameras and support a technology that is still evolving.
    Nicely written. Saves me the effort of making a very similar change. Thanks.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin