Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,683   Posts: 1,669,361   Online: 734

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mopar_guy View Post
    Your sarcasm is also a turn off for those who will look at these posts with the intent of learning about analog photography.
    I'm not being sarcastic, I'm serious.

Look, if somebody says they don't enjoy digital or prefer working with their hands, that's indisputable: de gustibus non disputatum est = "There is no disputing personal taste". That's fine. I like working with my hands as well as the other way. I understand.

However, when somebody equates digital photography to "microwaved frozen food" (compared to a home/chef cooked meal), that's a very disputable metaphor. The intent of the person making that metaphor is to disrespect digital practitioners by its emphasis on supposed lack of skill and lack of work (let alone lack of taste).

If that is not their intent, then they need another metaphor, or they need to put it in personal terms. For example, if they wrote "I have never been able to make a digital photo that satisfied me as much as a home cooked meal; my digital photos in comparison to my silver gelatin work seem like microwaved frozen food", then there would be no disputing it. That personal experience and those sentiments are entirely understandable. It is also respectable that somebody might decide not to devote the time it takes to become skilled in digital (yes, it actually does take time).

Disrespecting people who have chosen digital but are curious about film or who enjoy both is just as abhorrent as the people in some digital forums who call film practitioners "dinosaurs" and "unable to learn" and "stinky old farts".

Remember, this thread started because people here on APUG objected to somebody writing the phrase "defunct film technology". It's quite a spectacle to see APUG members behaving that same way with respect to digital technology.

Think of people coming here with the intent of learning about analogue photography as foreigners. Welcome them. Don't disrespect their country and their quaint customs and culture. Don't tell them a few days before July 4th Independence Day that they don't have a real country and they should be colonized by the 'painter country'. Those who are true teachers deep down and really want to help them learn won't tell them that they have no taste and their food is like cardboard.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Monito View Post
    Disrespecting people who have chosen digital but are curious about film or who enjoy both is just as abhorrent as the people in some digital forums who call film practitioners "dinosaurs" and "unable to learn" and "stinky old farts".
    To represent a proper balance digital users are called "crackheads", "have no clue" and "dog turds".

If they do sincerely want to learn analog photography, then they can check their none analog gear at the door to APUG.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Sarile View Post
    To represent a proper balance digital users are called "crackheads", "have no clue" and "dog turds".
    I thought the "two wrongs make a right" theory was discarded by time middle school was achieved.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not being sarcastic, I'm serious.
    Perhaps you should read some of your own posts.
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Shooter
    35mm
    I thought . . . blah blah blah
    Your digital mind doesn't have enough resolution and latitude to know what we already do.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Sarile View Post
    Your digital mind doesn't have enough resolution and latitude to know what we already do.
    Nice try. That says more about you than me.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    LOL awesome.

Shooter
    35mm
    Nice try.
    Try not. Do... or do not. Yoda.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thread closed. Let's give it a rest.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin