Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,686   Posts: 1,482,338   Online: 872

Shooter
    35mm

Bad development or bad skills?

Hi Folks

In early June this year I'd gone on a weekend visit to Hampi in South India.
    The conditions were bright and sunny yet cloudy, with occasional sprinkles.

I used my F80 with 50/1.8 all along, and shot one roll Tri-X 400 and another Kodak ColorPlus 200 color negative.

After I got it processed, the ColorPlus gave some nicep prints while the Tri-X is horribly, horribly blown. For one thing, there isn't any detail in the sky. Perfect white.

For another, most of the 'light' areas are also blown out, featureless.

Now I understand that ISO 400 for such sunny situations is not exactly a great choice but my camera has a good meter and all my previous exposures have been great (about 12 rolls at least, a mixture of E6, C41 and Ilford 100)

To add to the mystery there are some stains on the Tri-X negative, as if some liquid has flown through. These stains are on to the sprocket holes too.
    Imagine holding a strip of negatives and flowing a few drops of coffee over it.

I initially thought I must've made some mistakes while shooting but the stains make me think the lab screwed up and isn't willing to admit it.
    I shoot in the Aperture priority mode almost always and saw nothing odd in the shutter speed that the camera selected. I've seen similar numbers before for similar situations and results were great.

Could you guys help me out? I'd attach some negatives but don't have access to a scanner yet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi,

in my experience: almost always it is human error. You must learn to develop it by yourself - this is the first step.

regards,

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by darkosaric View Post
    Hi,

in my experience: almost always it is human error. You must learn to develop it by yourself - this is the first step.

regards,
    What he said, but if it makes you feel any better most of us have been there and know your pain.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Shooter
    35mm
    I would show the technician the stains. The rebates should be entirely clear. sounds like they didn't leave it in the developer long enough, and didn't leave it in the fix long enough.

Can you take some digital snaps of the negatives? No need to scan.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin