Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,231   Online: 827

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelbsc View Post
    I missed several T4s on evilBay, so I started watching the FS listing here on APUG. I got a great deal on one with a cosmetic flaw.

Now, on the Bay you absolutely couldn't trust the seller that it is fully functional. But here you know that whoever is selling it at least knows if it works or not. And I still paid less than what I bid and lost on the Bay.

I think it's awesome. I've been very satisfied with it after half a dozen rolls of film.
    There is a T4 listed in the classifieds here right now that is very nicely priced.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Ditto. Life is too short to read all the posts that would join this thread. Each poster would tout what they themselves had bought for themselves so that they could pimp their favorite camera even though their camera would not be the best for your mother.

Check out KEH.com regularly to see what they get over the next few weeks.

Steve
    Yes, I understand this. Really, this is more of a question for me since I never have had any interest in a P&S 35mm camera and was curious as to the offerings out there. It's a market I've never looked into and it looks like there's a lot of variety and options. Just having some fun and looking forward to getting my mum a camera she'll enjoy for years to come. I already got my father looking at a MF system

Thanks guys, that Nikon looks sweet too. I just picked up one off the Bay for 2.99 + 5.00 shipping and am looking at a L35AF as well.

Cheers
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm probably going to get my mom a Nikon N55 and a pro pack of Portra 400. They're only about $75 and the film is about $35. After she saw the pictures I took of my sisters college graduation and how much better they turned out than her digital, (even inside U of O's mac court with only the amber lights on) she was floored that i shot them with film and how awesome the color looked.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by F/1.4 View Post
    I'm probably going to get my mom a Nikon N55 and a pro pack of Portra 400. They're only about $75 and the film is about $35. After she saw the pictures I took of my sisters college graduation and how much better they turned out than her digital, (even inside U of O's mac court with only the amber lights on) she was floored that i shot them with film and how awesome the color looked.
    Yo Momma Gots Da Gud Taste!

Wise choice, I have a Nikon N75 and I have been happy with it since I got it. The N55 is a good camera especially for someone that wants to use film but does not want to become a photo nerd.

Hey! Who you be callin' a 'photo nerd'?
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'll suggest the Konica EE-100. It is a 1/2 frame 35mm with auto focus and built in flash. With the cost of film going up the way it is, 1/2 frame today is back in an environment it was originally designed for. It is larger than the XA but easier to use as it has auto advance and rewind. Only limitation is if she wants transparencies as holders are not available at most developers any longer. The 100 has a sharp lens and nicely fits into a shirt pocket plus uses AA batteries.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Contax Tvs II; AF with a Vario Sonnar 35-85 !:2,8
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Shooter
    35mm
    I would say give your mom what she wants no matter what it costs. However I don't think she knows what she wants just yet so let her use your himatic and find out what she likes, dislikes about it.
    A Contax TVs, T2 etc.. is worth it for your mom provided that she likes it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteymorange View Post
    Most any of the Olympus Stylus cameras are very good value for the very short money they cost. I just gave one away or I would have sent it to you. They have a tendency to shoot wide open, but you can't really fault the glass and they most often go for under $25.

For a few bucks more I'd suggest the Yashika T4. They are all over the place in terms of cost, but $100 should buy one if you look hard. Zeiss "T" lens and both back and top viewfinders. I couldn't best the pictures I took with mine using any other 35mm equipment I had access to. (Retina, Canon, Pentax, Minolta, Mamiya and Nikon.) There are better cameras, I'm sure, but few better for the money.
    what whitey said -

john
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    My mom used to use a Minolta Maxxum and when it broke the camera store pushed a point and shoot on her, which served but wasn't as good.

Last Saturday while picking up some chemicals and film, I saw a woman buy a Nikon F4 and wide-to-tele zoom.

Now THAT's a camera to get your mom! Or an F5.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The P&S she got was a Minolta Freedom Zoom 140EX Panorama Date.

Earlier this year she came to visit and pulled out the point and shoot and showed it to me, with the sad story that it stopped working and the guy at the camera store wasn't able to fix it. Could I try to fix it?

I went out to the garage, fiddled with it a bit, but no. Couldn't get it to work.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin