Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,206   Online: 701

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Help: Which Camera for me Mother?

Hi There,

I just got back from visiting the family back in Oregon and during the family BBQ on the fourth, my mother was all over my Minolta Hi-Matic RF and kept bringing up how she missed getting proper prints done rather than a bunch of files on the computer. I asked why she wasn't shooting her P&S camera and she told me she couldn't find APS anymore, which is likely in my hometown. I suggested a 35mm camera since that film will be around a long while yet. She said, "Find me one!"

So here I am.

The parameters: compact, AF preferred but not critical, wide to normal lens, and stylish/fun to use.

I think it's pretty cool she still wants a good ol' 35mm, so I want to get the right one without going broke (something under $100 seems reasonable to me). Thoughts? I was thinking some similar RF's, but I don't think she liked it all that much, but then again....is there anything smaller than the Hi-Matic in the classic RF department?

Thanks guys
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    35mm
    The Olympus XA is newer than the HiMatic because it was introduced around 1979. I am not sure it's considered a classic but it's smaller the HiMatic and operarate in much the same way as the HiMatic. The newer AF P&S do not operate in the same way.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Shoot, that Olympus looks sweet! Thanks for the heads up on that. 6 element lens and the thing is tiny....might be worth investigating more.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Most any of the Olympus Stylus cameras are very good value for the very short money they cost. I just gave one away or I would have sent it to you. They have a tendency to shoot wide open, but you can't really fault the glass and they most often go for under $25.

For a few bucks more I'd suggest the Yashika T4. They are all over the place in terms of cost, but $100 should buy one if you look hard. Zeiss "T" lens and both back and top viewfinders. I couldn't best the pictures I took with mine using any other 35mm equipment I had access to. (Retina, Canon, Pentax, Minolta, Mamiya and Nikon.) There are better cameras, I'm sure, but few better for the money.

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes the Olympus XA is cool when I don't take picture of my finger. I tend to do that.

Gim

If your Mom was all over your Hi-Matic...give it to her. If six months later she has questions or maybe would like something else, get it for her. Its your Mom and its only a camera.

Best,
    Jim

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Yes I know, but she wasn't a fan of the bulk....being used to APS point and shoots. I was hoping for a kind of in between, good lens, style, fun to use, but not so clunky. I've looked at the T4, but it seems that they go for a pretty penny nowadays.

I might send her the Hi-matic and grab myself something dinky to play with. Any experience with the Canon AF35M or Konica Z-Ups?
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gim View Post
    If your Mom was all over your Hi-Matic...give it to her. If six months later she has questions or maybe would like something else, get it for her. Its your Mom and its only a camera.

Best,
    Jim
    Ditto. Life is too short to read all the posts that would join this thread. Each poster would tout what they themselves had bought for themselves so that they could pimp their favorite camera even though their camera would not be the best for your mother.

Check out KEH.com regularly to see what they get over the next few weeks.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Try the Nikon Lite Touch AF/AF600. Tiny, light, with a great 28/3.5 lens, lightning-fast AF, very quiet, and pennies on the dollar when compared to either the Stylus Epic or the Yashica T4. I own or have owned a whole bunch of compact AF cameras, including both the T4 and the Stylus Epic, but this little Nikon is the one that I keep reaching for. It really is a tiny wonder, all things considered.

Nikon Lite Touch AF/AF 600 by Greyscale3, on Flickr
    Last edited by elcabezagrande; 07-06-2011 at 09:59 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    .. I've looked at the T4, but it seems that they go for a pretty penny nowadays....
    I missed several T4s on evilBay, so I started watching the FS listing here on APUG. I got a great deal on one with a cosmetic flaw.

Now, on the Bay you absolutely couldn't trust the seller that it is fully functional. But here you know that whoever is selling it at least knows if it works or not. And I still paid less than what I bid and lost on the Bay.

I think it's awesome. I've been very satisfied with it after half a dozen rolls of film.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin