Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,871   Posts: 1,583,412   Online: 1098

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

My two cents

I will state up front that I am biased. Some might call me an Olympus fanboy, or a Zuikoholic. My first camera was an Olympus OM-2S Program in 1984 (27 years ago). I still have that camera. In spite of what others may say about the OM-2S Program, I have never found it to go through batteries faster than any other Olympus camera I own. I like the following features of the OM-2S: Aperture preferred Auto exposure (with real time OTF metering) , Full Manual mode (battery dependent), and Spot metering. I haven't used the Program mode in years.

I only own three OM-1 MD's, one OM-1N, three OM-2S Programs, one OM-3Ti and five OM-4T's. I have never felt the need for anything else. In 27 years of using Olympus cameras, I have only had two problems (an OM-2S and an OM-4T have become jammed)(repairable). My daily use cameras are the OM-4T's.

In my experience, Olympus Zuikos tend to be more expensive than comparable Nikon lenses. OM Zuikos with f2 maximum apertures can be extremely expensive but to me they are worth the extra money because of optical performance and features. Most of the f2 lenses feature floating element design to correct for close focus aberrations. Build quality is very solid. I only own the following Zuikos: 18mm f3.5, 21mm f2, 24mm f2, 28mm f2.8, 35mm f2, 40mm f2, 50mm f1.8, 50mm f1.4, 50mm f2 Macro, 55mm f1.2, 85mm f2, 100mm f2, 135mm f2.8, 180mm f2.8, 250mm f2, 300mm f4.5, 400mm f6.3, 500mm f8 Reflex, and 600mm f6.5. I am happy with all of these lenses, and NO they are not for sale.
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mopar_guy View Post

I only own three OM-1 MD's, one OM-1N, three OM-2S Programs, one OM-3Ti and five OM-4T's. I have never felt the need for anything else.
    I guess you can scrape by with that.

I only own the following Zuikos: 18mm f3.5, 21mm f2, 24mm f2, 28mm f2.8, 35mm f2, 40mm f2, 50mm f1.8, 50mm f1.4, 50mm f2 Macro, 55mm f1.2, 85mm f2, 100mm f2, 135mm f2.8, 180mm f2.8, 250mm f2, 300mm f4.5, 400mm f6.3, 500mm f8 Reflex, and 600mm f6.5. I am happy with all of these lenses, and NO they are not for sale.
    "Only", eh? Well, like I said...

BTW, just how thin is the depth of field of that 250mm f2 wide open?
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Selidor View Post

The other thing I like about my OM-2n is how sensitive the meter is in low light;I believe a range of
    -5.5EV
    to +18EV. I think this remains unsurpassed in 35mm cameras.
    The Pentax LX has an EV range (in auto) of -6.5 to 20, though in reality it will hold the shutter open for hours, metering OTF the whole time. In my experience, its actual lower EV limit is as long as it takes, or the sun comes up, or the batteries die, whichever comes first.

So sayeth the lxdude.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had an Olympus OM-2N for a while. I really liked it. I found it in a thrift shop for $5 with a 35-70 f/4 constant aperture zoom. Shot it for a while, but I couldn't warrant having Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Minolta, and Olympus systems, so I sold it for $25. (Canon was my main system, and the other ones I had just found in thrift shops for cheap.) If I had been starting from scratch though, I would have really considered Olympus due to their small size and super cheap price. So, I can definitely put in a good word for the OM-2N. Not too sure about their other offerings and how they might differ.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 07-09-2011 at 03:28 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    127 Format
    I almost never hear of a disappointed OM owner. The few I have read about were people already emotionally invested in another brand. I don't recall ever reading about anyone disappointed with the quality of their OM photos taken with Zuiko lenses.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    BTW, just how thin is the depth of field of that 250mm f2 wide open?
    That one is a by-product of a recent spending binge so I haven't really had a lot of time with it yet (a couple of rolls of slide film). One problem is bright/sunny conditions. The fastest shutter speed of the OM-4T is 1/2000 sec. With 100 ISO film the Sunny 16 rule tells us that f16 @ 1/100 sec. = f4 @ 1/1600 sec. and I've run out of shutter speeds by the time I get to f4. I have some Efke 25 and a roll of Panatomic-X in the camera right now. I will shoot this film today.

I have projected some of the slides and my first impression is that the lens is scary sharp and the DOF at the wider apertures is less than one foot at 50 feet. I don't really have any B&W paper bigger than 8x10 at the moment so I will probably crop some images to check sharpness.
    Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mopar_guy View Post
    That one is a by-product of a recent spending binge so I haven't really had a lot of time with it yet (a couple of rolls of slide film). One problem is bright/sunny conditions. The fastest shutter speed of the OM-4T is 1/2000 sec. With 100 ISO film the Sunny 16 rule tells us that f16 @ 1/100 sec. = f4 @ 1/1600 sec. and I've run out of shutter speeds by the time I get to f4. I have some Efke 25 and a roll of Panatomic-X in the camera right now. I will shoot this film today.

I have projected some of the slides and my first impression is that the lens is scary sharp and the DOF at the wider apertures is less than one foot at 50 feet. I don't really have any B&W paper bigger than 8x10 at the moment so I will probably crop some images to check sharpness.
    You can also overexpose negative film and it won't suffer all that much. Especially color neg film. You can always use ND as well.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The filters for this are a special 46mm rear filter with an extremely thin flange to mount in the filter holder and Olympus did not make any ND filters. The lens will also accept a 128mm filter in front of the lens, but the only commonly available option is a Pentax made UV filter for their medium format telephotos.
    Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I love my olympus, the Zukio lenses are just awesome. I need to get more but prices are ridiculous on ebay for comparable nikkor. Its amazing how much tech they could cram into a small body, and how they kept most lenses with filter sizes of just 49mms.

Also knurled focus rings, ah so pretty. the multicoating is awesome as well.

btw there is an OM3 for sale on ebay now... what a rare beast, its around $1000 bucks right now at auction. its the same as an OM4 but with a mechanical shutter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My first OM was an OM-3 bought new in 1984. I was a student and I had saved a long time for that. That was a special day. I've since had -1n's, 2n's, a -4,-4t, and a -2s, that was the only one to fail on me, shutter jammed. I still have some, others either stolen or traded away. Amazing meter in the -3 and -4's, love these things.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin