Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,287   Posts: 1,535,315   Online: 890

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mopar_guy View Post
    The OM viewfinders are very good. When I compare one of my OM-4T's with a 1-13 focusing screen to my OM-3Ti with it's 2-13 focusing screen, the difference is like watching a movie on an old TV with a VCR tape as opposed to watching the same movie on Blue Ray with an HDTV.

I agree! What I find funny, is that, switching from a top-of-the-line DSLR (say, a Canon 1Ds MkII) to an OM-1, is like switching from VCR+OldTV to BlueRay+HD. Then, switching from an OM-1 to an OM-3Ti + 2-series screen is like switching from CR+OldTV to BlueRay+HD! Have we run out of analogies??

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I find it sad that the cameras I'm compelled to use these days for commercial work (you know what I'm talking about) have such poor viewfinders compared to something 30 years older. I love the viewfinder of the OM-1n, and the OM-4t is pretty great too. Progress isn't always forward.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the replies, everyone! I've been extremely busy the past few days and wasn't able to reply earlier, but this thread did help set myself straight. I did a bunch of research a few days back, read the MIR website as well as a bunch of other stuff. I then also played around with my Nikon some more and realized how much I love it and also realized that it is the better choice for me now, so I'm going to try and find another FE body. However, I really like the OM series and would still love to pick up either of the OM-1 or OM-2 series cameras because they can be found for really cheap with the common focal length Zuikos. I might keep an eye out for a cheap OM-2 in the meantime while I look for another FE.

Funny story, a few days ago, after posting this thread, I was walking to a cafe to play a gig with a band I am sessioning in and I walked by a guy on the street that had a blanket laid out with a few things that he was selling. Among them were two cameras, a Konica C35 and an Oly OM, what looked like an OM-1 from the quick glance that I took. I got really excited to randomly see this, walked two blocks to the cafe to leave my gear there and went back to find out how much the guy wanted for it. Well, by the time I got back to the spot he was gone and I missed out on what could have very well been a great deal. I guess that was something trying to tell me to stick with NIkon for now, eh?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Pain-MD View Post
    FWell, by the time I got back to the spot he was gone and I missed out on what could have very well been a great deal.
    It twas fate calling, and you walked past it! oh shame!

Shooter
    35mm
    I like my Olympus OM1 and OM2n a lot and they get my recommendation but as far as holding value I'd just like to say you can almost not give (most) Oly equipment on the big auction site, Trust me on this one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ha, funny to see my thread back from the dead. Although I'm always tempted by Olympus' tiny and well designed bodies, my two Nikon bodies are working well right now after some servicing. I shoot more medium format anyways, so 35mm is kind of in the back seat (especially since I have way too many 35mm cameras!). Thanks again for the insights though!

Shooter
    35mm
    I have been shooting the same OM-1n since 1979. I sent it to John Hermanson, zuiko.com for CLA/overhaul and it is still amazing. I can't imagine using another camera. My hands are so used to handling this camera. The bodies do go cheaply at auction and camera shows. The lenses, not so much. I would love a 28/2 and 85/2 and the prices seem to hold at just north of $300. Might try a KEH bargain on one to see what I get.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Olympus lens princes are inflated lately, and many of the digi shooters are snapping them up to use as well. It seemed olympus sold a huge amount of OM bodies and kits with the 50mm 1.8, but not too much of anything else. Most lenses, or accessory items, are always in short supply and quite expensive. Oh I wish it was possible to mount nikon lenses on OM bodies, it would be perfect.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Newt_on_Swings View Post
    Olympus lens princes are inflated lately, and many of the digi shooters are snapping them up to use as well. It seemed olympus sold a huge amount of OM bodies and kits with the 50mm 1.8, but not too much of anything else. Most lenses, or accessory items, are always in short supply and quite expensive. Oh I wish it was possible to mount nikon lenses on OM bodies, it would be perfect.
    apart from that fact that it's Nikon glass, of course

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tomalophicon View Post
    apart from that fact that it's Nikon glass, of course
    Nikon glass is awesome
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin