Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,505   Online: 1029

Shooter
    Multi Format

Problem with Maxxum 7000 - lens stopping down to f/22 every single time

My new to me Maxxum 7000 body has a major problem which I have discovered only today. It seems that everytime I trip the shutter, the body stops down the lens to f/22, regardless of what aperture setting I have it set to. So even if I selected f/1.7, upon tripping the shutter the body would close the lens down to f/22 or thereabouts. I've tried setting the aperture manually in M & A mode, still the same problem occurs. Similarly in P and S modes. I've tried changing the drive mode to Continuous & Self Timer..still the same problem. I've also tried 2 different lenses, yup you guessed it...still the same problem.

Have this happened to any of you before? I've taken a look at the aperture control lever, it seems to be behaving normally, or else I don't know what to look for. I don't know what could make it behave in such a way. The Minolta AF lenses that I have when unattached to the body would be in a stopped down state. When I start to attach the lens to the body, I think the aperture control lever on the body would engage the lever on the lens and the lens aperture would open up.
    It's a real pity, as the body that I have is in otherwise excellent condition.

Is this likely to be a mechanical problem or a more serious one involving the electronics inside the camera? Easy fix or no? Would appreciate all input!

-Dani

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It sounds like you have a problem with the aperture control magnets. There is some information on this here: http://www.9000.org/index.php?page=common_faults#5
    There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks a lot cessnaguy.

Yes, that appears to be the case.

Does the aperture control magnets need to be replaced in order for it to function as per normal again, or is there a way to fix it without replacing the magnet? Maybe a corroded/broken wire or connector somewhere?

I see the magnets selling for about $25 on evilbay, but that's without shipping. At that price, plus the cost of potential repair, I might be better off buying another body..what do you think?

P.S: I didn't know there's such a thing as aperture control magnets..reminds me why I love purely manual cameras

Shooter
    35mm
    I might be better off buying another body..what do you think?
    Another body would be the logical option, they should cost the same (if not less).
    That is unless you're emotionally attached to your particular 7000
    Ps. My 7000 never suffered from this.
    OM-2n, 50/1.8 (Black) | AE-1 Program, 50/1.8 (Silver)
    flickr.
    My other little piece of the Web.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Selidor, thanks for your reply. I'm not attached to the Maxxum 7000 body that I have, just that it seems such a pity to not be able to use it as the body is in otherwise very good condition.

Having said that, anyone has got a Maxxum/Dynax/Minolta AF body for sale?

The Maxxum 600si looks kinda yummy...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin