Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,630   Online: 674

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good grief. If I didn't order online I couldn't shoot film, certainly not anything except 35mm consumer C41. I even ordered it all online back in the 90s, because I shot 4x5 and the nearest place to buy that was 100 miles away. Never any problem at all.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks alot guys just one last question where do i get my slides turned into prints? I got a couple slides and although I could send them to walmart and have them printed, is there any better place you guys recommend? Or anywhere I can get them into bigger sized prints than the standard size?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Printing slides yourself is more challenging. Negative film is much easier to print yourself with RA-4 chemicals and you can print them as large as you have trays, drums or troughs! Optical wet prints in your own darkroom are much better IMO than scan and inkjets you'll get at Walmart.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hpulley View Post
    Printing slides yourself is more challenging. Negative film is much easier to print yourself with RA-4 chemicals and you can print them as large as you have trays, drums or troughs! Optical wet prints in your own darkroom are much better IMO than scan and inkjets you'll get at Walmart.
    I don't completely agree with that. It depends on the slide. If the contrast range is fairly limited nice Ilfochrome prints can be made without masking and, in that case, I find it considerably easier than printing from negatives. The process seems to have more latitude for color changes (that is, small changes in filter pack don't produce as wide a deviation in the print) and, most important of all, starting with a positive reference makes determining when you have the color right much easier. I printed a fair amount of both Ilfochrome and RA4 in the 90s, and found Ilfochrome easier as long as the subject was fairly flat.

But that's not too relevant nowadays when RA4 is cheaper than B&W and Ilfochrome is special order and outrageously expensive.

Today, the easiest thing to do to make prints from slides yourself is anathema to discuss here. (Figure it out...) I'm planning to experiment with making internegatives but haven't yet.

There are lots of labs that will work by mail order and scan your positives and send you ink jet prints of good quality, much better than you'll likely get from WalMart, Costco etc. and I think there may be one or two still doing Ilfochrome too (hold on to your wallet for that option, though.) I haven't sought these out so I don't know where to point you, but someone will.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sorry, it was mostly the modern cost and scarcity of Ilfochrome nowadays that I meant. I used to love Cibachromes, still have some beautiful ones and Fuji R prints. Now I just shoot negatives, color and B&W since no one wants to see my slide shows anymore but prints are still popular.

I have a slide duplicator and bellows and macro lens so I can make my own internegatives without much trouble aside from getting the internegative film these days. Regular color negative film ends up very contrasty when used.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    35mm:
    Double X
    Afga pan 250
    Tmax 100, 400
    Tri-X 400
    Plus-X 125

120:
    Tri-X

Shooter
    35mm
    Kodak:
    Ektar 100
    Portra 400

Fuji:
    Pro 400h

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ektachrome is still around. I can't imagine it will be for too much longer, though. Enjoy it while it lasts. It is great film.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wuzoo View Post
    Thanks alot guys just one last question where do i get my slides turned into prints? I got a couple slides and although I could send them to walmart and have them printed, is there any better place you guys recommend? Or anywhere I can get them into bigger sized prints than the standard size?
    Good question. But it begs the response, why do you want to shoot transparency film? If you want convenient, cheap, easy, and local printing, I would shoot a color negative film. Printing from transparencies is a more involved and expensive process that most labs are not equipped to do any more. The process is called Ilfochrome, and nothing looks quite like it. But it is expensive, and often requires an involved printing technique called masking, which takes time (and adds a little expense to an already-expensive process).
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I use color film I use Fujichrome or Ektar 100.

Jeff

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin