Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,690   Posts: 1,548,840   Online: 1004

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    For colour, Portra 400 is great, it looks like a ISO 100 film, but you can shoot it at 800, or even 1600 without push processing. I also really like Velvia, great for sunsets and other nature style shots. For B&W I've taken a liking to the Rollei Retro 400 stuff, it's kind of old fashioned looking. Also Fujfilm Acros 100 is fine grained, tolerant of ropey exposure and generally looks very nice.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by thegman View Post
    Portra 400 is great, it looks like a ISO 100 film, but you can shoot it at 800, or even 1600 without push processing.
    Is that so for 135 Portra 400?

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Lets see, right now in the film bin for slides I have.

100+ rolls of Elitechrome 400 (my go to film for most of the year and indoors)

40+ rolls of Elitechrome 100 EB (Summer and stereo slide film)
    just under 30 Rolls of E100VS (for when I want that look)
    8 Rolls E100G (for when I want that look)

I shoot slides mostly to project them, not always for the really great colors they offer, there is something special about sitting in a dark room and looking at slides projected on a screen.

If I want the really great colors and blacks I will use the E100VS, I find that E100G makes a nice clean image for me, but the color doesn't really pop for me, people that have seen my slides say the E100G has great color, I just don't see it. If I want all the color and the blacks it's EKTAR 100, then Portra 160 for more color but less black, and finally Portra 400 if I need the color and the speed.

If I'm shooting a day at the beach, SCUBA diving, stuff around town, camping or day trips I use Elitechrome 400 or 100, the colors are good and the grain is bearable on a 40 inch [101cm] screen.

Special events outdoors go on E100VS or E100G depending on the event and how much color I expect or see.

I will also use Fuji 1600 for things like indoor poorly lit things like my kids school plays and events, it does deliver acceptable colors and speed with minimal tungsten shift, all be it at the price of some grain, okay a lot of grain.

I would rather shoot slides any day of the week, I only shoot color negative film if I have to, the main reason I will use color negative is speed of processing, but I have to admit EKTAR delivers some great color.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stavrosk View Post
    Is that so for 135 Portra 400?
    For 135 and 120. It's highly versatile.

Shooter
    35mm
    I usually shoot black and white. When I use color print film, I like Ektar 100 for landscapes and other things that need saturation, and good old Fujicolor Superia 200 for general-purpose color. I also like Fujichrome Velvia 50 and Provia 400x for chromes.

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you want prints from slides, Dwain's photo does a nice job, I have never used them for prints but I have seen their prints from slides and they looked good.

If you don't mind some Digital in the process then have your slides scanned when they are processed and take them to a local 1 hour place that can print on FUJI CRYSTAL ARCHIVE paper from a scan. This is not unusual, my local Rite-Aid, CVS, and Walgreen's can all do this. To answer your next question, yes there is a major difference in quality between a gloss print on Crystal Archive and ink jet. Ink jet prints look like they were done on notebook paper IMO.

As others have said if you are not projecting your slides and you just want prints shoot color negative like Ektrar 100 and have it processed locally. If you want some artistic control have the film processed and scanned then crop and retouch then bring the photos back for printing, I know this is not a true full optical process, but it is better than ink jet prints. I can get a roll of C-41 processed and scanned to CD (on a $30,000 Noritsu scanner) for less than $3 a roll, optical prints (made from digital projection in the machine) on Fuji Crystal Archive run from $0.15 to $2.00 depending on print size and make ink jet prints look like the junk they are.

If you can get prints on Kodak Endura paper, they look great as well, but finding a place that uses Kodak optical paper is almost impossible.

Also wanted to mention that if you are worried about film by mail, don't I get film by mail all the time and it is fine, also your local camera shop gets film by mail a lot of the time as well.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Portra 400 and 160.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hpulley View Post
    Sorry, it was mostly the modern cost and scarcity of Ilfochrome nowadays that I meant. I used to love Cibachromes, still have some beautiful ones and Fuji R prints. Now I just shoot negatives, color and B&W since no one wants to see my slide shows anymore but prints are still popular.

I have a slide duplicator and bellows and macro lens so I can make my own internegatives without much trouble aside from getting the internegative film these days. Regular color negative film ends up very contrasty when used.
    I asked about internegatives here and was told that people are getting good results with Portra 160. Maybe preflashing could limit the contrast?

For that matter I find modern RA4 to be a bit too low contrast for my taste much of the time anyway so some contrast increase would be welcome, but sounds like you're getting quite a lot without (no longer made) interneg film.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by wuzoo View Post
    Hey guys with Kodachrome and Ektrachrome gone what film do you use or recommend? I'm interested in color film.
    Kodachnrome may be gone - sigh ! - but, thank god, there are still ektachrome available (100 g and 100 vs) :

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...l?pq-path=1229

I have not tried 100 g yet, however i tried 100 vs and it is very nice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by photoworks68 View Post
    Kodachnrome may be gone - sigh ! - but, thank god, there are still ektachrome available (100 g and 100 vs) :

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...l?pq-path=1229

I have not tried 100 g yet, however i tried 100 vs and it is very nice.
    I find 100G lovely stuff (see above for someone who doesn't like it quite as much) but it's not VS. Depends what you want. 100G is comparable to Astia, while VS is more like Velvia.

100G has very clean, natural colors, but not over saturated. For that really saturated look VS is better.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin