Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,474   Posts: 1,570,976   Online: 823

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

What film do you use?

Hey guys with Kodachrome and Ektrachrome gone what film do you use or recommend? I'm interested in color film.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Colour 135 and 120:

Kodak Portra 400
    Kodak Ektar 100
    Fuji 800Z

B&W 135 and 120:

T-Max 400
    Ilford HP5 Plus
    Ilford FP4 Plus
    Ilford Delta 3200 Pro

Of the above I shoot Portra 400 and T-Max by far the most in 135 SLR's and the Portra 400 and FP4+ in 120 in the Mamiya 645. Ektar is outdoors and into the sun, at the beach, etc., usually SLR or the Mamiya depending on my mood. Portra for people (natch)—it's the new wunderfilm. Fuji 800 in my Fuji Natura Classic for indoor, lower-light snaps. T-Max in SLR's and the Ilfords in my rangefinders for 135.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can still get Ektachrome. E100VS and E100G are available. Fuji still makes some positive films too.

I used to shoot a ton of chromes, mostly E200 but now I just shoot negative film to make prints. I'm enjoying Ektar and Portra 400 especially, also shooting some Portra 160 and Fuji Reala. Ektar is quite saturated if you're looking for a highly saturated film which is often what people want when shooting color reversal film.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah, Ektachrome is very much alive, in several versions for 35mm. I really like E100G for times when 100 is fast enough and I want a transparency film.

In color neg, I pretty much stick to Portra 400 these days. Ektar is a very good saturated film but for the subjects Ektar is best for I'm usually shooting medium or large format (bearing in mind this was asked in the 35mm forum.)

You specified color so I won't get into a long description of B&W film choices.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Yeah, Ektachrome is very much alive, in several versions for 35mm.
    Some of which are called Elitechrome. Ektachrome is not dead!
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Fujichrome.
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I love the Portra line, using mostly the 400 (am going to miss VC when it's all gone) and 800. As mentioned, it is a fantastic film for portraits. I also really like Ektar 100 and Reala, and use them when I want the super saturated or "natural" looking colors that those films give. So, it really depends on the shoot and what I'm trying to get.

Astia is sweet too.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Ektar 100
    "I only wanted Uncle Vern standing by his new car (a Hudson) on a clear day. I got him and the car. I also got a bit of Aunt Mary's laundry, and Beau Jack, the dog, peeing on a fence, and a row of potted tuberous begonias on the porch and 78 trees and a million pebbles in the driveway and more. It's a generous medium, photography." -- Lee Friedlander

Shooter
    35mm
    Is it safe to order online? the trip wont mess up the film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Safe online, all my film is ordered online, no problems.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin