Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,456   Posts: 1,570,570   Online: 845

Shooter
    Medium Format

Bulk Loading, how to attach to these canisters

Okay, so I goto CVS where I've had some c-41 done (Process Only for $2.20). Anyways, when I was in their last time I asked them to save my cassettes. Today, the lady gives me a whole bag full of cassettes! And just in time because I was going to order some.

So now, all of them have about a 1/4 in of film hanging out, how do I attach my new film to this cassette? I figure tape on both sides, but what kind of tape?

Any help would be amazing as I think I've got an unlimited supply coming to me
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails content-__media_external_images_media_691.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello,
    I use standard bulk film cassettes and I do use empty cassettes from local drug stores. With the one hour lab cassettes I attach the little piece of film from the cassette to the piece of film that sticks out from my bulk film loader with masking tape. I don't overlap the two films. I carefully turn the knob on the film cassette until the the masking tape is completely in the cassette then I place the cassette in the bulk film loader and I'm ready to go. I usually just use the C-41 cassettes just once. This has been working well for me, I hope it does for you.

Chris M.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Make sure that the film you wish to load is cut off squarely. Then butt it up against the film in the cassette. Apply tape to each side to cover the joint. Do not attempt to overlap the films as it may make it difficult for it to get past the velvet light trap. Use a very thin tape like brown package tape. Masking tape may lose its stickiness especially if you freeze your film. Do not use scotch tape as it tears easily. Then with scissors trim any excess from the sides of the joint. In fact I cut off a small sliver of film on each side to make sure there is no exposed adhesive. If you have ever spilced audio tape you will know what I mean.

The problem with reloadable cassettes is grit getting into the velvet and causing scratches along the whole length of the film. Each time you reuse them the chance gets greater.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use clear packing tape, it's thinner and enters the light trap on the cassett easily and won't pull off.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    35mm
    This has been a big help to me.I just bought a Watson bulk film loader and it did not come with any cassettes.I now have hope,Thanks,Ron G

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well, I loaded all the cassettes yesterday (what else what I to do while I was sick laying on the couch?)

It worked well, I used 1/2 strapping tape. I had mostly 35mm cassettes from disposable cameras which are not DX coded, which works for me as the majority of what i'm loading this time around is duplicating film which has an ISO of 6 or below. In fact, I honestly prefer loading film this way than using regular reloadable cassettes, it's so much easier!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin