Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,050   Posts: 1,561,120   Online: 797

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Strong ND filters.

Hi all,

Has anyone compared a strong ND filter to without the filter to see if there is color casts? I get a magenta cast. Not sure if I am the only one here.

Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Who made the filter?
    Some of the cheaper ND filters most certainly can introduce color casts and can be uneven in density.

Shooter
    35mm
    B+W 6 stop solid ND.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    hmm B+W makes good filters usually...
    how are you arriving at the magenta cast conclusion?
    what films are you shooting and how are you evaluating this result (printing, scanning)?
    is the cast evident across the entire dynamic range (ie: in both shadows AND highlights)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    10 stop B+W ND is very nice, but it does alter the colours slightly with a bit of a brown cast. Probably less than almost any other similar ND. Remember, a flat spectrum out of 10 stop filtration (practically black) is hard.

Shooter
    35mm
    I was seeking if you guys had similar effects.

I have not yet shot the B+W on film yet, I am at the moment and where I am film and processing are very expensive, I need to export my film to the USA for development.

In the past I have shot Hitech, might of been a 4 stop Cokin P square filter and that had a even stronger cast than the 6 stop B+W. For the moment, I have evaluated the B+W on a digital camera and it is a magenta, brown cast. The 2 stop is pretty neutal with a slight warming effect, the 6 stop my black camera bag gets like a red tinge.

Shooter
    35mm
    Here is a 4 stop Hitech filter, taken with my dSLR.
    Film used is Kodak E100G. Exact 4 stop was added to the shot before (without filter).
    http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6145/...b8b717_z_d.jpg

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Saw this earlier today on the Large Format Forum.

"Be aware that most NDs pass IR and can affect the shadows and shift them red. A hot cut filter, or the Panchro Mirror NDs will work quite well. The more ND, the more color shift. You can read the shift (for the most part) with a color temperature meter and adjust your other CC filters to compensate. That said, the order doesn't really matter except for Leigh's comment."

Good luck!

Shooter
    35mm
    Also remember that if you are using the ND filter in order to give long shutter speeds (>1 sec) the colours of your film will alter due to reciprocity failure. This is more likely the cause of the problem rather than the filter itself. To test my theory, shoot two exposures on a DSLR (one with the ND filter and one without) If the colours are the same then it's not the filter (remember to turn off AWB). If you don't have a DSLR, try and do the same test on your film camera but make sure the shutter speed stays below 1 second with the filter in place i.e. do it in bright light with a wide aperture and on fast film if necessary.

Datchet, Berkshire UK- about 20 miles west of London
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    My 10 stop B+W is certainly warm. It is not reciprocity failure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin