Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,735   Posts: 1,515,455   Online: 1164

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I love OM10 because it was my first real camera. But, it's very limiting in terms of functionality and flexibility. Plus, the reliability of electronics is very questionable. My first one and the second one died of electronics failure. (first one was purchased brand new). I'd go with OM2 if I had to do it over again.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like totally mechanical cameras. Get an OM-1 or SRt in good condition. They are built like tanks.
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've used all sorts of gear down the years and mechanical (+ a battery powered meter) is my preference.

Of that specification, I'm currently using a Nikon F2S and a Nikkormat FTn. The F2 is probably the most solidly built of all Nikon's manual focus film bodies. A Photomic head (DP-1) or DP-2 (which gives you an F2S) should be available for £150 ish. I've recently bought a mint FTn (fixed head, no option to add motor drive but built like a tank) for less than £100. A slightly more cosmetically "used" version would be available for a bit less. Nikon glass Pre-Ai and Ai is plentiful, extremely good and reasonably priced.

The OM1n was my favourite camera when shooting in the 1970's / early 1980's. You wouldn't go wrong with a good example. Zuiko lenses are excellent but they can be pricey if you're looking for quick glass. However, OM1 and OM2 derivatives are lovely in the hand and only marginally larger than Leica rangefinders. Nikon, Canon, Pentax and Minolta tend to be more substantial and a fair bit heavier.

Happy hunting....
    Paul Jenkin (a late developer...)

Shooter
    35mm
    Ah yes, the old battery versus mechanical argument, my old foe...

Yes, the mechanical cameras will work w/o a battery. Thank the gods for that! But unless you live in a battery-less black hole somewhere, that's not really an issue is it? Is it really all that hard to carry a spare battery? And do you think mechanical cameras magically stay in-calibration through the years? Any OM-1 you buy for less than a hundred dollars will need a CLA and that alone is over a hundred bucks.

While I admire and use many battery-independent cameras, the electronic ones are more accurate for a longer period of time and the batteries are cheap and available. Go with the AE-1. It's a superb beastie.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post

Yes, the mechanical cameras will work w/o a battery. Thank the gods for that! But unless you live in a battery-less black hole somewhere, that's not really an issue is it? Is it really all that hard to carry a spare battery? And do you think mechanical cameras magically stay in-calibration through the years? Any OM-1 you buy for less than a hundred dollars will need a CLA and that alone is over a hundred bucks.

While I admire and use many battery-independent cameras, the electronic ones are more accurate for a longer period of time and the batteries are cheap and available. Go with the AE-1. It's a superb beastie.
    Yes, it's the 21st century my Canon A1 has only had to have the battery replaced
    three times in the twenty three years I have owned it., and I always carry a spare
    Ben

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post

Agree 100%. The veneration of relics like SRTs, OM1s, Nikkormats, and AE1s and other 30+ year old cameras ignores the rock-bottom prices on much newer AF models like Nikon's that work nicely as manual focus bodies. Know very few people who will shell out as much--often more--than their "classic" mechanical cost for a competent CLA and/or fix. Bought a very clean Nikon N90s for way south of $100 last year. Who wants a crusty late 60's SRT 101 with battery issues and looming age-related problems? For what's left of the analogue era, I'll take newer/better/cheaper/plentiful any day. What's the point of a retro fashion statement?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    I paid £25 for my Spotmatic F and it's mint
    As you made it sound like a competition, I only paid £20 for mine!

Quote Originally Posted by Samuelg View Post
    i am however shopping on a tiny budget
    I have been thinking about getting rid of some of my surplus equipment and there are a few items which were headed for the FREE STUFF thread. One which you might be interested in is a Minolta SRT100b. It appears to work (although I have not put a film through it) The only fault I can find is that it is missing the little plastic bit at the end of the film wind lever. It's a body only so you will need to find a lens (or two or three) but if you want it, you can have it for £0..... one of my favourite prices!

Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    You'd be better off going with a late model AF camera in any number of brands that can be had for way under a $100 U.S. thru KEH.com with a short warranty. An example would be a Canon T2 for $62, or any other model in various brands that can be had in the range of $40 to $100. You'll get a better screen, full screen readouts, higher synch, exposure compensation, sometimes incorporated flash, and higher shutter speeds. Just read the reviews and pick the public's favorite. Your expense tho will be finding a good lens for a low price or using an adapter for a lens. If anything make sure the body will meter with a chosen lens.
    If your dead set on a mechanical body just makes sure the light seals are good and the meter works with modern batteries. You can still get some FD lenses cheap, such as the 28mm F2.8, 50mm F1.8 and 1.4, and some telephoto's. Canon FD will be one way to go to get reasonable priced lenses.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Nikon N90s.

Can't imagine a better camera for the price.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I forgot to mention you might look up KEH.

Jeff

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin