Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,705   Posts: 1,482,765   Online: 1085

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fabrizio:

And they can be really reasonable ($45.00): http://www.keh.com/camera/Canon-EOS-...900851405?r=FE

I recently paid $28.00 for one, with kit zoom lens (thanks Craigslist Vancouver!).

The only problems with the eye controlled focusing is that it depends on the interaction between the camera and the photographer's eyeball, and eyeballs vary. As a result, for some people it doesn't work, and for some others it doesn't work consistently.

So far, for me, it seems to work well.

There is another advantage to the system. It can be used to control other functions on the camera. On my camera it is set to engage the depth of field preview - I just "look" at a spot near the corner, and the lens stops down.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Diapositivo View Post
    All this reminds me of one thing.

Regarding autofocus, a friend of mine had a Canon film model, AF mount, I don't remember which model, which had a very advanced autofocus feature: the camera has several AF points, and could be instructed to focus on the AF point where the photographer is looking at the moment. Some sort of sensor looks toward the photographer's eye, and understands which AF point is it looking at, and uses that AF point to focus.

I couldn't believe that. We went to his house and he showed me the thing. And it really worked! That, I think, was a sensible technical innovation. If one can train his eye to look at the focus point just before releasing the shutter, this mechanism, besides working very well for moving subjects, would also end the focus-lock-recompose ballet which one normally has to do with an AF camera.

I'm generally weary of electronic in lenses (it breaks, it suffers condensations, it wears etc.) but this was a really interesting innovation, I was certainly impressed.
    Canon eye control - available on the EOS Elan IIE, EOS IXe, EOS-3, EOS Elan 7E, and EOS Elan 7NE
    “I drank what?” - Socrates

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostcount View Post
    Canon eye control - available on the EOS Elan IIE, EOS IXe, EOS-3, EOS Elan 7E, and EOS Elan 7NE
    It's similar to a system that was developed for helicopter gunship pilots in Vietnam using " sight switches", so they could aim and fire their munitions quickly and instinctively without taking their hands off the controls.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 07-18-2011 at 01:18 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Obviously the system doesn't work well enough. Canon never put it into their top of the line cameras like EoS-1n or 1v. Nor that they put it in any of their DSLR.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    Obviously the system doesn't work well enough. Canon never put it into their top of the line cameras like EoS-1n or 1v. Nor that they put it in any of their DSLR.
    I've never owned one Chan but I used to sell them, and I found they didn't work for everybody, I couldn't make them work for me, but some customers thought they were the best thing since sliced bread.
    Ben

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Back to the OP: Sounds like you have many options. Having seen a SRT101 dropped from a 600ft cliff (not quite sheer, but damn close) and recovered without having a single issue other than physical blemishes good for a story. Likewise, the Nikkormat I used for a while was from a Vietnam press corp member and had literally been through mud, rain, dropped on everything, and was used in firefights.....today it works like a charm. Both were delightful to use, robust and have solid lenses for reasonable prices.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Agree 100%. The veneration of relics like SRTs, OM1s, Nikkormats, and AE1s and other 30+ year old cameras ignores the rock-bottom prices on much newer AF models like Nikon's that work nicely as manual focus bodies. Know very few people who will shell out as much--often more--than their "classic" mechanical cost for a competent CLA and/or fix. Bought a very clean Nikon N90s for way south of $100 last year. Who wants a crusty late 60's SRT 101 with battery issues and looming age-related problems? For what's left of the analogue era, I'll take newer/better/cheaper/plentiful any day. What's the point of a retro fashion statement?
    You are starting with the false assumption that newer *is* always equal to better.

Mechanical shutters hardly ever fail suddenly: they (sometimes) slowly become less accurate over decades. Electronic shutters definitely are prone to instant and unexpected failure (been there, done that...).

"Battery issues" are a non-issue (or, more of an imagination-challenged issue).
    The only purely age-related problems are foam seals (for those cameras which have them) and cheap (usually East Block European) cloth shutters sometimes age badly.

AF focusing screens *do* work poorly for manual focus (if you'd ever used a truly good focussing screen/veiefinder/viewfinder system, you'd realize that).

So to the OP, do get a "crusty old 1960's relic": it might well need a CLA, but then it will last you a lifetime, unlike an auto-everything camera which is only as reliable as its weakest transistor.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Canon EOS Rebel and don't really like it. The auto focus is fairly quick but the image stabilization causes a LOT of shutter lag. It's fairly good-handling but feels like a plastic piece of shit. The auto focus, IS and auto advance eat batteries.

The Minolta MD mount X-570 is my favorite. So much about it is just plain right. I used a Pentax ME Super for almost 20 years before getting this one, but it just isn't as good as the X-570.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rol_Lei Nut View Post
    You are starting with the false assumption that newer *is* always equal to better.

Mechanical shutters hardly ever fail suddenly: they (sometimes) slowly become less accurate over decades. Electronic shutters definitely are prone to instant and unexpected failure (been there, done that...).

"Battery issues" are a non-issue (or, more of an imagination-challenged issue).
    The only purely age-related problems are foam seals (for those cameras which have them) and cheap (usually East Block European) cloth shutters sometimes age badly.

AF focusing screens *do* work poorly for manual focus (if you'd ever used a truly good focussing screen/veiefinder/viewfinder system, you'd realize that).

So to the OP, do get a "crusty old 1960's relic": it might well need a CLA, but then it will last you a lifetime, unlike an auto-everything camera which is only as reliable as its weakest transistor.
    No dice. Newer is newer. Low rollage oldies are an exception but petroleum-based lubes used in the shutter trains gum up and require service that's getting rare and pricey and harder to find(ever notice the constant pleas for service leads on elderly cameras hereabouts?).

Funny I've never had Nikon AF shutter/metering electronics fail--ever. That's including hard, unsympathetic use in a few cases including wet/damp/dusty/impact/vibration/temp extreme conditions on high-rollage used bodies as well as new. My only problem with an "electronic" Nikon is a slightly faded LCD meter display on an early F3.

Mickey Mouse/survivalist solutions with o-rings and short-lived hearing aid batteries are a PITA workaround for old gear that used mercury batteries. Sure it's possible but who needs it when AA-powered cameras are available?

AF cameras work nicely for MF with MF lenses, especially Nikons. Yes I've used cameras with all kinds of focus aids/screens and don't find the AF models inferior with their electronic rangefinders. Your opinion perhaps but not my experience re: AF screens and manual focusing.

Overall, parts and service are becoming an issue for many older MF bodies as makers refuse service on old stuff and veteran service techs retire or pass on.

Old is old. It's fun to use but don't downplay the baked-in limitations and expense involved in shooting old equipment.

Shooter
    35mm
    CGW! The AF screens are harder to focus that is if you don't use any focusing aid. using electronic rangefinder then it doesn't matter what kind of screen it is. But if I get an slr I want to focus with the focusing screen and on any part of the screen not just the center or at an AF point.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin