Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,273   Posts: 1,534,575   Online: 1045

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Shooter
    35mm
    I would avoid the Minolta SR/SRT series. These cameras use a fragile thread to connect the aperture ring to the cameras built in meter. The thread passes over several pulleys. Should it break the camera is useless and repair costs more than the camera. I was given one and was shocked by this poor design.[/QUOTE]

Many cameras do use pulleys and thread. In fact the Nikon FM uses pulley and thread to set the shutter speed. However, if the meter on the SRT goes dead it's small lost as I have used serveral SRT and although the meters are ok I never use the meter. Just estimate the exposure, Worked very well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Look at a re-conditioned (still in warranty) Canon Elan 7e. I bought one, since it seemed to offer more features for less money than anything else and it is amazing the value for money it represents. It has not given me any trouble, can be used without regard for all the options for the mindless and will allow use with my Contax lenses using an adapter (manual focus and exposure only, of course). And, stacking another adapter on that adapter, it will allow its use with my Hasselblad lenses, as well. Also, it just happens to allow using all my Canon EOS lenses, too, with full automatic everything, including fast focusing on whatever it is that you are looking at through the viewfinder.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    I would avoid the Minolta SR/SRT series. These cameras use a fragile thread to connect the aperture ring to the cameras built in meter. The thread passes over several pulleys. Should it break the camera is useless and repair costs more than the camera. I was given one and was shocked by this poor design.
    Many cameras do use pulleys and thread. In fact the Nikon FM uses pulley and thread to set the shutter speed. However, if the meter on the SRT goes dead it's small lost as I have used serveral SRT and although the meters are ok I never use the meter. Just estimate the exposure, Worked very well.[/QUOTE]

I heavily used Minolta SRTs starting with the SR-7 for forty years and I never had a problem with the cables. I did send every one of those cameras in for a CLA every year or two, just as I would with any other camera. The cameras never came back with comments about the cables or any cable problem. I would not have a problem buying and heavily using a Minolta, Canon or Nikon camera.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin