Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,482,037   Online: 833

Shooter
    35mm

Good place for repair/CLA for Minolta XK?

I just came across a nice XK that is in need of some work. The mirror is perpetually up, and various bits appear to be a bit looser than they should be. The good news is that I got it for a fair price, the meter seems to be working, and the body is in pretty good shape.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good place to send it to? This camera seems like a different kind of beast (enough that I don't want to mess with it), I would feel better if it went to a place that has some experience with the XK.

Thanks guys, any help appreciated.

Shooter
    35mm
    Not sure how experienced they are with that camera, but I've been very satisfied with both KEH Repair (substantially more expensive relatively) and Garry's Camera Repair (much less expensive). Each have Overhauled/repaired several cameras for me, all Nikon.

Maybe give them each a call and ask, both are very helpful and have responded to my inquiries within a day or so.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Try this guy, Eric. He is relied on by many at PentaxForums:

http://pentaxs.com/

Shooter
    35mm
    Always good idea to have an old camera serviced anyway but just to be sure, mirror perpetually up but meter works . . . you are aware it does have mirror lock up? It is the button on the bottom that plays dual duty as stop down and MLU.

Shooter
    35mm
    Interesting, that got me to search and find out about the mirror release (turn battery cover). When I cock the shutter, the mirror goes up halfway. Regardless of shutter speed, when I release the shutter the mirror goes all the way up and stays there.

I've contacted all of these guys to see if they work on XK's, many thanks.

Shooter
    35mm
    I think putting fresh batteries will cure the mirror problem. When batteries are low, the mirror remains locked up. There is an unblock lever which Minolta engineers put, as you know, in the thread of the battery cover so that while changing batteries you also unlock the mirror. But if you don't replace the batteries with fresh ones, at the next shutter operation the mirror will again remain up.

It seems that on auction sites it can happen to find some Minolta XM in working condition, that the owner thinks are broken and sells them for peanuts. They only need the batteries to be replaced.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The MINOLTA Tech i use is John Titterington in Kansas. He's repaired several Minolta SLR's for me via "CLA" for $75. He's worked on my SRT series cameras as well as my XD-11's and they're functioning flawlessly. His email is JTcamera (at) aol (dot) com. His communication and turn-around time is nothing short of exemplary.

I once thought i'd same some $ and try Garry's Camera, but he couldn't do the job i needed (repair the film take-up spool on my XD-11's) and was slow to communicate. No thanks. I'd rather just send my gear to a professional and get it right the 1st time around.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I second sending your Minolta to John Titterington, he is excellent. He also services Canons and Nikons.

Chris M.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've contacted everyone listed here (except Garry's, too many negative reviews on the net), so far none of them work on XK's. Mark Hama did respond and say he works on XK's, but after that initial email he hasn't responded back. I am going to contact KEH repair tomorrow to see where that goes.

Thanks for the help guys.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin