Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,217   Posts: 1,532,144   Online: 1029

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Strange. I've sold some LF lenses to ebay users in China with no problems. Maybe there are restrictions for new equipment that involves software. Somehow, I suspect that wealthy Chinese buyers are able to obtain any cameras they want.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is probably a remnant from export restrictions imposed when China and the US were much more at odds (think Korean war). It may be that it isn't enforced, and there may indeed be a government directive to that effect.

It might also be that it is one of those things that requires a special export permit before it can be mailed.

Or a combination of the two.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm

I've experienced this also

The USPS website is correct. USPS will not knowingly ship cameras to China. If you lie on the customs docs, well that's your business. According to my local US Post Office, lenses, flashes and other camera equipment are not "cameras," and thus not prohibited.

UPS and FedEx do not list cameras as prohibited, but the shipping costs are very high. FedEx recently quoted me $900 to ship a 4lb. camera to Shanhai, and UPS quoted my $325 . USPS, if it hadn't been prohibited, would do it for $50-60via Express Mail International!

Incidentally, Hong Kong, and Taiwan, though nominally part of China have no such restrictions on cameras.

Shooter
    35mm
    It also says you can't send gramophone records which could do political, economical, cultural, or moral harm to the People’s Republic of China.

I suppose that would that include Chuck Berry ...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeDexter View Post

Incidentally, Hong Kong, and Taiwan, though nominally part of China have no such restrictions on cameras.
    taiwan is an independent state (of course in PRC still view it's a province) that still insist that they are the real government of whole china.
    While hongkong, is part of PRC. But with the British dominion past, they got some kind of special autonomy on some cases.
    Sorry for nagging, I'm stuck in a bad bad bad traffic jam here in downtown Jakarta with nothing else to do

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know about USPS but I sold my Contax 139 to a buyer in China and I sent it via AustPost. I also wrote USED CAMERA on the declaration paper.
    No issues.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Seeing as the Chinese make 99.999999% of all the consumer-grade cameras on the market (as well as everything else, good job NAFTA) I find this appalling.
    5x7 Eastman-Kodak kit / B+M 135mm Zeiss Tessar + Compur Deckel
    RB67 Pro S /50 4.5 / 90 3.8 / 180 4.5 / WLF / prism finder / polaback
    FED-2 / 50 2.8 Industar 26m / 85 f2 Jupiter-9
    Canon 300v / A2

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    One time I did ship a lens to a buyer in Hong Kong, and it got through OK. I'm not sure if HK and China have the same rules, but they are the same country.
    Graham from St. Augustine, FL

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham_Martin View Post
    One time I did ship a lens to a buyer in Hong Kong, and it got through OK. I'm not sure if HK and China have the same rules, but they are the same country.
    LOL! Not for this purpose they are not!!
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    35mm
    So bamborelo, have you contacted USPS, what did it say and have you discovered how to ship the camera to your Chinese customer?

We await an answer with baited breath as must your customer in China only much more so! We at least are only curious bystanders

pentaxuser

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin