Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,519   Posts: 1,572,214   Online: 1013

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF

Shipping a 35mm camera to China

Hello,

can a 35 mm cameras along with a few lenses be shipped to China? The last item on the USPS prohibitions list has me confused? " Wrist-watches, cameras, television sets, radio sets, tape records, bicycles, sewing machines, and ventilators..."
    http://pe.usps.com/text/imm/ce_009.htm#ep1400280

Has anyone shipped their gear to China successfully?
    An ebay customer from China has been asking and I am not sure what to tell her.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How about calling Chinese embassy or consulate and inquire? It seems the document is saying cameras are prohibited in very plain English. (which sounds strange to me but oh well....) Few (or many) getting through by mistake or omission may not be a proof enough that your particular package will go through. You may lose your camera, money, or both.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thanks, I find it odd as well to say the least. I will call USPS tomorrow see of they can shed some light on this.

Shooter
    35mm
    China is making lots of those little digicam, no 35mm cameras allowed hehehe.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Maybe a holdover from the cold war and when China was a closed country. Cameras = photographing = information = spying.

Shooter
    Large Format
    It might also be an intellectual property thing. As with the Soviets, the Chinese manufacturers don't seem to put a lot of stock in patents and will copy anything and everything.
    "I only wanted Uncle Vern standing by his new car (a Hudson) on a clear day. I got him and the car. I also got a bit of Aunt Mary's laundry, and Beau Jack, the dog, peeing on a fence, and a row of potted tuberous begonias on the porch and 78 trees and a million pebbles in the driveway and more. It's a generous medium, photography." -- Lee Friedlander

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Better not try it. It is clearly stated at the USPS site that shipping cameras to China is prohibited. If you are a seller on ebay and receive payment through PayPal you could lose everything when the buyer says they do not receive it. All the rules will be against you.

Shooter
    35mm
    I believe that they want chinese to buy and use chinese products if someone insist on import stuff should have to pay a very high tax. I think they try to protect their jobs and the fobbiden items are those that they are making.

Shooter
    35mm

35mm cameras

It is probably because they are saving their 1 billion customers so they buy Chinese cameras. I know they made 2 1/4 cameras ( tlrs) and I assume they make 35mm also. The tlrs can actually be bought here in the US under the name of
    Great Wall, I think. There may be another also.

Shooter
    35mm
    So it isn't possible to legally ship cameras to China? So any non Chinese cameras in the hands of any inhabitant is an offence? All the Japanese/ German/Swedish manufacturers are forbidden to export any cameras to China? The camera section on e-bay should say "No Chinese inhabitant may bid on cameras being auctioned outside of China due to Chinese law"

I'd look into this with USPS to get to the bottom of it. It doesn't stack up to me.

pentaxuser

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin