Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,918   Posts: 1,584,749   Online: 899

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Film flatness isue? Elan 7e

link to image (1.2mb 2700 dpi scan of 35mm film)

It was shot at about F8 so the depth of field should be large enough to cover both the circled regions.

I notice the same issues when enlarging colour negatives in the darkroom, too. I know it's not film flatness in the enlarger because I get the same results at even F22. And if I tell the scanner to focus on the unsharp region it doesn't improve it.

It's a Zeiss 35mm T* Distagon 2.0 ZE and I get corner to corner, near pixel perfect sharpness on my Canon 5D. I'm starting to think it's a serious film flatness issue in my Elan 7e. I'm about to give up on 35mm but it's a shame because the lense is a dream and I have a colour darkroom/workflow now, too. Is there a better made body than this that should help with these flatness issues? Or should I just save the money and not bother with 135 roll film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Never thought I'd see pixel peeping on a 35mm scan.

How do your prints look? I have the 7e and this isn't a problem for me.
    5x7 Eastman-Kodak kit, under the knife for a bit
    4x5 Graphic View / Schneider 180 / Ektar 127
    RB67 Pro S / 50 4.5 / 90 3.8 / 180 4.5 / WLF / prism finder / polaback
    Random 35mm stuff

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I honestly don't see much, if any, difference. Like most 35mm SLRs, the 7e has a solid film pressure plate which keeps the film flat. You can't even mess up with film loading as the camera does that for you. I wouldn't worry about it.
    And the sign said, "long haired freaky people need not apply"

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanEsopenko View Post
    I notice the same issues when enlarging colour negatives in the darkroom, too. I know it's not film flatness in the enlarger because I get the same results at even F22. And if I tell the scanner to focus on the unsharp region it doesn't improve it.
    Sean,

When you enlarge, do you use a glass or glassless negative carrier? It does make a difference.

Have you tried the lens on another comparable film camera body to see if it related to the camera body you are using. As noted above, I would expect that the film flatness issue was resolved some time ago in the design and manufacture of 35mm cameras.

Good luck,

Len

Shooter
    Multi Format
    save the money and dont bother with 135 roll film.....
    "Where is beauty? Where I must will with my whole Will; where I will love and perish, that an image may not remain merely an image."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hmm what kind of scanner are you using? Are you sure it's holding the film flat? There seems to be a "line" of sharpness between the left and right side of your image. A lens wouldn't make a "line" of sharpness and blurriness it would be circular. A scanner on the other hand would make a line boundary.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would also be inclined to think that perhaps the scanner was at fault here. The pressure plate inside your camera should hold the film flat, but often times neg carriers for scanners do not. The only one that I know of that does a perfect job is the magnetic holder for the Imacon Flextight.

Make a print in your darkroom using a glass negative carrier, and compare it to the neg scan. That would tell you for sure where the problem lies (assuming your enlarger is properly aligned).

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm
    I just noticed some very evident chromatic aberration on the garage door which should not be present at that small enlargement. That might mean there is something wrong with the scanner or the scanning technique. I can't believe any lens can have that level of CA. How CA relates to lack of sharpness I don't know, but it might be that a problem (such as bad planarity) shows as lack of sharpness and as CA, and by solving one, one solves the other. Maybe the film was placed on the flatbed on the wrong side? Maybe some non-noticeable dirtiness? Maybe the scanner has an alignment, calibration procedure which must run from time to time?

Just some thoughts...

PS On seeing the scan again, and seeing that it is scanned at 2700 ppi, not that small an enlargement the CA seems a bit more forgiveable, but nonetheless it is quite apparent.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    May I also suggest running a roll of E6 slide film through your camera, and then examine the resulting film with a high powered loupe? That would tell you whether you have a problem with the camera or not.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    What an ugly car...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin