Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,931   Posts: 1,556,957   Online: 1036

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 35mm scanners

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The policy has been that it's okay to discuss scanning for the very limited purpose of posting images on APUG. If the discussion develops into scanning for the purpose of making digital or hybrid prints and everything that goes into that process, then it's off topic for APUG.
    Last edited by David A. Goldfarb; 07-23-2011 at 10:35 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I scan for purpose of posting here and as an aid to visualize what's possible in the darkroom. I use an EPSON V500. It scans well enough except for the holder that comes with it are really flimsy and there's no way to hold the film flat. My film dries curled and often I have to deal with Newton's rings. While it's rated to much higher resolutions, going beyond 2400DPI yields no difference in quality. As a side note, I occasionally, I print from it up to 11x14. It's actually not bad.

You can buy this scanner inexpensively from EPSON's refurbish store. That's what I did.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Since your motive is to scan and post here, then I am fine replying as indicated by the mod (David) that this is within the rules of APUG.

I use a Epson 4490 ($120) and the full version of VueScan ($80) since I shoot 35 and MF. Silverfast is quite expensive and therefore why I went the route to VueScan.

Check out my images in the gallery if you wish to see what my combo yields.

If you will never scan MF, then maybe a dedicated 35mm scanner would be better? Not sure the cost on those though?

I look forward to seeing your images!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by j-dogg View Post
    What are we all using to scan slides and negs? Not looking to spend a fortune, I have some Kodachrome I need to get done.
    Your time is a fortune and a one time - effortless, scan will save you a lot of that.

Tried all others (desktops and labs) and have found the Coolscans as not only the best in extracting detail and color/contrast accuracy but it is also the fastest just in terms of scanning at less then a minute per frame for scans with ICE compared to all others taking > several mintes each. Even faster considering workflow - pre or post scan, as the Coolscans are most accurate. Below is an example of how K64 scans when ICE is used. Notice the considerable artifacts created by Epson's ICE.

Link for larger 1.5Meg file -> http://www.fototime.com/056E802FBAE131D/orig.jpg

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I scan my negatives with an Epson V330 for viewing purposes. I bought it new only half a year ago and it's already broken. Its advertised resolution is 4800ppi, but there is no increase in quality beyond 2400ppi.
    I will replace this piece of garbage soon with something than can also scan 120 film.
    And the sign said, "long haired freaky people need not apply"

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by M.A.Longmore View Post
    Are DPUG Members really shooting, and scanning that much film ?
    It seems that APUG Members would have the answer.
    The APUG Gallery seems to be loaded with scanned images.

Ron
    This sectarianism baffles me, too. THIS is the site with the most traffic and resources. I get the Old Testament thing about film but hybrid workflow is a reality.
    DPUG's content is far from unique. APUG is another story.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    This sectarianism baffles me, too. THIS is the site with the most traffic and resources. I get the Old Testament thing about film but hybrid workflow is a reality.
    We could start a fight about the Church of Rodinol for old times sake.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No idea how good they are but the Plustek 35mm scanners are pretty reasonably priced. Not as good as a Coolscan I'm sure, but the top of the line model brand new is about 1/4 the price of a used Coolscan.

I'm planning to get a V700 or V750 for MF and LF, but in something of a quandary about 35mm myself as I don't think those will yield the quality I want from small negatives and I don't want to shell out the bucks for a Coolscan or similar, so I'm rather interested in the Plusteks.

For forum posting I'm sure the flatbeds with transparency adapters would be fine so I'll say no more about why I want better than that.

All that said, for posting my Kodachrome I took the easy way out and just had Dwayne's put them all on Photo CD when I had them processed, but then I shot all the Kodachrome I have last year when this was available and the obvious (to me anyway) thing to do.

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't want to violate APUG rule as it's one of the few forum I really like. But I believe APUG members have more knowledge about scanner than others. DPUG seems not very active.
    I personally use the Konica Minolta Dimage Dual Scan IV. I found it's a fine scanner at 3200dpi. I have no problem scanning Kodachrome. In fact scanning slides is a lot easier than negatives. I wish that I had upgrade to the scan elite 5400 when they were still in production.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a dedicated 35mm film scanner and also several flatbed scanners.If I could have only one scanner it would obviously be a flatbed.I have been using Microteks for over twenty years,I was scanning in DOS with a 300Z when I started.You can buy Microteks on ebay with a transparency adapter for very little money these days,if you don't mind the SCSI interface there are even more to choose from.Ron G

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin