Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,085   Posts: 1,612,254   Online: 985

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Stuck ISO selector in Minolta X-700

Title says it all - I don't recall doing anything traumatic to my girl but I cannot move the dial off 100. Not a huge deal as these days I generally shoot that speed anyway and/oruse an external meter all the time, but does anybody know what the heck might have caused it? And more importantly, is there an easy way to fix it or do I need to find a surgeon?

Thanks
    N
    Last edited by nhemann; 07-23-2011 at 05:05 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: fat fingers
    "There is no such thing as objective reality in a photograph"

My flickr and (gasp!) dpug photos - take a look if you like.

Shooter
    35mm
    You know you have to lift the ISO setting ring as you turn it, right?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe I should have stated this in the beginning - I have owned my Minoltas for ten years, so yeah, I'm aware of the lifty portion of the show.

This just happened out of the blue as far as I can tell so was looking for slightly more indepth ideas
    "There is no such thing as objective reality in a photograph"

My flickr and (gasp!) dpug photos - take a look if you like.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is it possible that something got spilled on the camera? Pop makes a good glue.
    Or check the ISO dial retaining screw to be sure it's tight. Under the RW knob.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    I would take the knob off and take a look, I've replaced this knob with little drama in the past. I would set the exposure comp to one of the extremes so you know where things go in case you lose your place. Normally I'd say set the film speed to one of the extremes too, but that is obviously not possible. Take a pic of the step when you expose most of the workings, so you know how it goes back together.

I've had it stuck before (which is why I replaced it), a dog chewed the raised portion of the ring and kind of staked it against the main plastic knob. So check for physical damage, I fixed it by using an x-acto knife and cutting off the staked portion

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Could you use a drop or two of 3 in 1 oil?

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Crap (i know, a non technical catch all term) can get into this mechanism over time. I have an old x-700 that came to me filed with dust. The camera works fine, but the film speed adjust is a bear to move, even with a fair bit of a clean up. So perhaps a bit of lube would help, but that in turn will aid in snaring more crap as time in use builds.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kubach View Post
    Could you use a drop or two of 3 in 1 oil?

Jeff
    Umm, The oil is a no-no.
    The knob rotates a set of brushes on a resistor band. A drop of hydrogen peroxide might do it.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin