Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,695   Posts: 1,482,501   Online: 1013

Thread: Camera Leather

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Camera Leather

Have any of you tried to replace you wornout leather with one of the kits from CameraLeather.com? How did it come out?

I have an old beater Leica that the leatherette is crumbling and I thought if the kits were good ( and simple enough to put on right ) I would give it a try.

So does anyone here have experience with this? Thanks.
    Scott Stadler

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I've only heard good things about their coverings on a few forums. The patterns seem to fit and go on easily. My one experience is positive. I ordered covering for an Minolta Autocord TLR and and it looks great. For a pretty obscure camera they offered a few different choices. My only criticism is the guy (I forget his name) is pretty busy and you have to stay on top of him, via emails to get your order out.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've bought two kits -- one for my Minolta Autocord and one for my Canonet. There's a bit of a wait for the kits to come, but they really are nice.

I'm toying with the idea of a "diva" camera for my little sister-in-law -- a black Yashica Electro 35 GTN with pink or purple leather. It'd be hideous, but she'd love it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought one for my Yashica Electro. Excellent fit and looks great. I had no trouble with shipping. They make them per order so it takes a bit extra time. Well worth the wait.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I you visit Tokyo, they have them right on the wall (along with half the Microtools catalog) upstairs at Yodobashi. Just pick what you like and go.

I kind of like the melty-sea-damaged look messy pleather gives my RTS though. It grips better in the hand.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've done 2 cameras - both are Nikon FM's. No problems at all, the fit is great.
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks guys. It sounds like the make a good product, I think I'm going to order a kit and see how it goes. Thanks again for all the input.
    Scott Stadler

Shooter
    35mm

CameraLeather, wait

I just did my Leica M1 and was very satisfied with the kit I got from CameraLeather. You will probably wait longer than expected to get your kit. Morgan Sparks runs this as a part time business. He can be a little slow with emails and product shipment, but it's worth the wait. Don't panic if you go a week waiting for an email reply. BTW - the Leica M1 looks great with the new lizard skin covering.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    There's one downside- after installing the leather, you start noticing all those chips and scratches you never saw before.
    "Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb435
    BTW - the Leica M1 looks great with the new lizard skin covering.
    I got the "red ring" lizard skin on a black Yashica Electro, really stands out. Cost more than the camera is worth but I like it.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin