Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,995   Posts: 1,524,271   Online: 954

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Can a Nikon FM3A fit with a Vivitar 20mm f3.8 lens?

Hello everyone. im in a dilemma now, a friend wants to sell me a Vivitar (nikon mount) 20mm f3.8 lens, question is, can it fit with a Nikon FM3A?

Another thing, if one has a body (FM3A) + Nikkor 35-70 f3.3 and had to choose between a new nikon 50mm f1.8 or a used Vivitar 20mm f3.8m, what would be a wiser choice? i am still currently a student, financially not that strong so i have to choose between both. please advise

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My voice go to 50/1.8. Any 50mm nikkor is great lens: I have 4 of them.
    Last edited by darkosaric; 07-26-2011 at 04:50 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Just about any Nikon lens (or lens with a Nikon mount) will fit and work with just about any Nikon body (with obvious restrictions around autofocus and in some cases, metering).

To be persuaded by pure logic, the 50mm f1.8 lens is the obvious choice. However, I think I would personally go for the 20mm lens but I think you should have a 50mm as well. 50mm lenses will show up much more frequently than 20mm.

If there is any way of getting the 20mm now and a 50mm very soon, then go for that option.

Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by AezranHakim View Post
    Hello everyone. im in a dilemma now, a friend wants to sell me a Vivitar (nikon mount) 20mm f3.8 lens, question is, can it fit with a Nikon FM3A?
    If it has an AI or AIS mount, yes. If it has a pre-AI mount, no.

Another thing, if one has a body (FM3A) + Nikkor 35-70 f3.3 and had to choose between a new nikon 50mm f1.8 or a used Vivitar 20mm f3.8m, what would be a wiser choice? i am still currently a student, financially not that strong so i have to choose between both. please advise
    The 50mm.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Is that Nikkor 35-70 f3.3 an autofocus lens?

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If it's really the exact same model, I used a Vivitar 20mm f/3.8 lens on a Nikon FM and FE2 for years...
    (Decent lens for it's likely price).

The only limit could be if it is a pre-AI lens (likely), which, unless it has been AI adapted, won't meter at full aperture.
    IIRC, my Vivar 20mm had a tab added on to give it AI functionality. (If my memory isn't correct and metal needs to be removed from the aperture ring, then you can't even mount it on your FM3A!)
    You might even get away with attaching such a tab with superglue...

P.S.: I personally do not like the 50mm FL, so my vote is to have fun with the 20mm (unless you need to do a lot of quality reproduction work)!
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    "You might even get away with attaching such a tab with superglue..."

Wrong. NAI lenses if forced on will break the plastic or metal AI tab on the camera's lens mount. Factory replacement aperture rings with the milled section in the right place were the solution. Third party AI "conversions" just involve milling away material from the aperture ring in the right place to clear and engage the body's AI tab for metering.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    "You might even get away with attaching such a tab with superglue..."

Wrong. NAI lenses if forced on will break the plastic or metal AI tab on the camera's lens mount. Factory replacement aperture rings with the milled section in the right place were the solution. Third party AI "conversions" just involve milling away material from the aperture ring in the right place to clear and engage the body's AI tab for metering.
    Wrong: many third party lenses had aperture rings which cleared the AI tab on the camera and were "AI'd" by adding a tab/cam...

(I assume you meant "non-AI" lenses will break if forced).

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rol_Lei Nut View Post
    Wrong: many third party lenses had aperture rings which cleared the AI tab on the camera and were "AI'd" by adding a tab/cam...

(I assume you meant "non-AI" lenses will break if forced).
    Examples of such lenses? Any NAI lenses I've seen--apart from preset models--won't mount on bodies with fixed AI tabs.

By definition, those were all NAI lenses that relied on the "rabbit ears" prong to engage the metering post on a NAI body or metered finder. Nikon assured backward compatability by keep the prongs on AI and most AIS MF lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Examples of such lenses? Any NAI lenses I've seen--apart from preset models--won't mount on bodies with fixed AI tabs.

By definition, those were all NAI lenses that relied on the "rabbit ears" prong to engage the metering post on a NAI body or metered finder. Nikon assured backward compatability by keep the prongs on AI and most AIS MF lenses.
    You might make more sense if you defined what you mean by "NAI".
    Nikon AI? Non-AI? Non-Nikon AI?

As I said before, many pre-AI Nikon mount lenses built by third party companies (I've seen examples from Vivitar, Tokina, Soligor, but undoubtedly many others as well) had aperture rings which cleared the AI tabs on Nikon AI bodies (fixed or not).

The discussion was not about original Nikon pre-AI lenses but, in particular, a Vivitar 20mm f/3.8.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin