Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,902   Posts: 1,521,166   Online: 1121

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It's just a box to keep the darkness in. The real deciding factors are the lens and the film..... and the operator!

EDIT: It is quite a nice box though!

Steve.
    Last edited by Steve Smith; 07-31-2011 at 06:38 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    To answer your question, no, the Nikon FM3A is not the best MF film camera.

Jim B.

Shooter
    35mm
    Let not counting other brand as other brands like Pentax, Canon, Olympus and Minolta and many more did make some great cameras. But within the Nikon alone, the FM3a isn't the best. It's the replacement of the FM/FE series camera. It's a 1 camera that takes the place of 2. But it's never the best. The best has to be one of the top line camera namely F, F2 or F3...

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    It's a great camera but based on the amazing price you can get such cameras as an FM2 or F3 it may not be the best value.
    True, you can get a either with lenses for the same money. the FM3 is the last on my list of Nikons to aquire because of the price.
    But if you get a good deal and its what you want then go for it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-D659 View Post
    Except the F4 is an AF body.

F3 is the most modern manual focus and really nice to use, but the best is the F, unless you need TTL-OTF flash metering.
    The price of an F- is ridiculous, especially if you want the plain prism. The metering heads are as heavy as all get out. If you already have an F or F2 consider yourself pretty lucky, I do.

Last night I was stumbling through Ken Rockwell's pages and came across a piece where Nikon apparently re-released the SP rangefinder in 2005(?) as an instant collectible. Like Leica does all the time. The F was pretty much an SP with a prism and mirror box so if Nikon still has the tooling for one...

Judging from the looks I get when I'm out shooting film, I'm just waiting for the (imagined) eventual consumer revolt against digital camera obsolescence. I'd buy an F-redux in a heartbeat if volumes kept the price in line, and it was purely mechanical, solely film and had the F's build quality. (It could also help the folks in Sensei if Nikon didn't farm it out to China.)

Shooter
    35mm
    no, of course not

Shooter
    Large Format
    Yes. The FM3A is unquestionably the very best Nikon manual focus SLR.

Shooter
    35mm
    The FM3A's full hybrid design is unprecedented and unequaled as there are no other. Since it's release there have been no issues identified with it so time will tell if it is as well made as it's predecessors. It is no doubt a very good light tight box but best Nikon MF is highly subjective.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Vsanzbajo View Post
    Being the most modern and so greatly built, do you guys think is the best MF Nikon body? Opinions....
    Thanks
    Why do the Mods tolerate these "best/greatest/sharpest" posts? Pointless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It is better to have 2 Nikon F with Motor, 2 Nkon F2AS with motor and the FM3A
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin