Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,560   Posts: 1,545,259   Online: 816

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Buy an FM3a and definitively answer the question for yourself. Better get an F2 and F3 for a thorough comparison. What is the point of this poll-taking?

Shooter
    35mm
    I am quite sure that the OP has an FM3a. Not so sure about the OP familarity with other cameras in the Nikon lineup.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Why do the Mods tolerate these "best/greatest/sharpest" posts? Pointless.
    "best" of course is subjective and everyone takes it that way. It's a way for those with these and similar to give opinions as to what they like and why and so far there's been some decent posts with such. Is the site short on bandwidth or something. If you see no value ignore it.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    We have the best mods in the business

Shooter
    35mm
    I am just taking opinions. If you do not like the question, do not answer. Grow up people. Go and bitch somewhere else. I am just asking for some opinions.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here is my opinion (listed in descending order of priority) to this very subjective question:

1. Nikon F2
    2. Nikon F4 (best manual focusing auto focus camera)
    3. Nikon F3
    4. Nikon F
    5. Nikon FM3a (lacks interchangeable view finder)
    6. Other Nikon FM series (except FM 10)

I have owned and used all except the last two.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Photo 071224 sml.JPG  
    Last edited by narsuitus; 07-31-2011 at 04:17 PM. Click to view previous post history.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Vsanzbajo View Post
    I am just taking opinions. If you do not like the question, do not answer. Grow up people. Go and bitch somewhere else. I am just asking for some opinions.
    Is the Nikon FM3A the best MF film camera?

Like there's a shortage of reviews/evaluations of the FM3a? How many responding here own one?

It's an open-ended question that just generates largely irrelevant responses about other cameras. Had you asked what features make the FM3a a great camera, responses would have been more focused.

Shooter
    35mm
    The FM3A does lack an interchangeable finders but it does have the K3 split image screen that never blacks out regardless of stopping down, slow lens, multipliers or bellows. (This screen can be used on other compatible bodies.) I don't believe this type of screen is available to any of the F/F2/F3 unless it is third party. I don't know if the other auto focus F's have this available? I have only seen this type of screen on my Canon (new) F1 and not aware if it is available for any other brand/model.

The FM3A also has advantages of higher shutter speeds, higher sync speeds as well as other automation not available in any other MF body as well as full manual functionalities without batteries then any/all Nikons. It's build may arguably be lesser then the F/F2/F3 and certainly it's time of release has possibly relegated it to far less use so we may never know how robust it really is compared to it's earlier siblings. Perhaps what speaks volume for it is the commonly held notion that it cost more to build then what Nikon was able to sell it for and of course that it commands a very good price in the used market.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No way!!!

It strikes a nice balance between durability, price & usability, though.

IMHO, while on paper its specs seem nearly perfect, in reality it could be better (viewfinder could be better for image/focusing, shutter & mirror better dampened).
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Large Format
    Is the FM3a the best? I don't know, but I own 3 of them.....
    John Bowen

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin