Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,051   Posts: 1,561,175   Online: 869

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't think so, personally. I also don't think the word "best" is really that useful without clarification. Best for what? Each camera has it's strong and weak points. The best camera in one way or for one person will often not be the best in another way or for another person.

My "favorites" are the F and F2 (as well as Nikkormats). Anything else is really no better to me; it just has more "fluff" IMHO. Since I rarely use the fluff, I prefer not to even have it there most of the time. That and they feel great in the hand, and look beautiful.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    For me "best" means the following:
    1. rock solid
    2. reliable
    3. no fiddly parts
    4. runs without batteries
    5. can be put under a wheel to keep car from rolling
    6. not so pretty someone wants to steal it
    7. takes Nikkor glass
    8. easy to load under fire
    9. still works caked in mud
    10. easy to focus in all kinds of light

Given all that my favorite MF camera of all time is the Nikon Nikkormat FTN. It was always my go-to camera when the chips were down. Or up for that matter. Sure I have owned and used the venerable Nikon F, the F2, N90s, F5 and even an EM. Plus Nikonos IV and V.

They were all great cameras (well maybe except the EM). I dropped an F from a moving car during a hostage taking situation and once retrieved still worked like a charm. The F2 was probably the prettiest, sexiest camera I have ever used. It's fit/finish and mechanical smoothness was second to none. The F5 is a major work horse and can pound nails but heck if the batteries go dead that's about all it's good for. The Nikonos cameras I used underwater until I switched to a housing for a D700. They sport a 35mm lens that is probably the sharpest in the industry.

Anyway that's a long winded answer to a quick question.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    35mm
    The answer is obvious:

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Why do the Mods tolerate these "best/greatest/sharpest" posts? Pointless.
    Probably for the same reason they tolerate posts complaining about thread subjects.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, a few months ago, I might have asked a similar question, because I was in the market for a Nikon manual focus* SLR. I ended up purchasing an FE2, which I'm surprised hasn't got any mentions yet.

* - I almost complained about the original post because the FM3a is not a medium format camera...
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yeah, those darned hostages can be a pain when they get feisty. I always bring my F4s when I'm taking hostages. A conk on the head with it really calms them down.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rose View Post
    For me "best" means the following:
    1. rock solid
    2. reliable
    3. no fiddly parts
    4. runs without batteries
    5. can be put under a wheel to keep car from rolling
    6. not so pretty someone wants to steal it
    7. takes Nikkor glass
    8. easy to load under fire
    9. still works caked in mud
    10. easy to focus in all kinds of light

Given all that my favorite MF camera of all time is the Nikon Nikkormat FTN. It was always my go-to camera when the chips were down. Or up for that matter. Sure I have owned and used the venerable Nikon F, the F2, N90s, F5 and even an EM. Plus Nikonos IV and V.

They were all great cameras (well maybe except the EM). I dropped an F from a moving car during a hostage taking situation and once retrieved still worked like a charm. The F2 was probably the prettiest, sexiest camera I have ever used. It's fit/finish and mechanical smoothness was second to none. The F5 is a major work horse and can pound nails but heck if the batteries go dead that's about all it's good for. The Nikonos cameras I used underwater until I switched to a housing for a D700. They sport a 35mm lens that is probably the sharpest in the industry.

Anyway that's a long winded answer to a quick question.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hidesert View Post
    Yeah, those darned hostages can be a pain when they get feisty. I always bring my F4s when I'm taking hostages. A conk on the head with it really calms them down.
    Ya I guess I should have spelled it out that I was PHOTOGRAPHING a hostage situation for a local newspaper. But I understand you were adding some humour.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    35mm
    for me, yes

Shooter
    127 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Vsanzbajo View Post
    Being the most modern and so greatly built, do you guys think is the best MF Nikon body? Opinions....
    Thanks
    Yes... Yes, it is.

or maybe not...
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RidingWaves View Post
    Nope. F4 all the way, followed by the F2as. Matrix metering with Ai lenses, built in spot and center weighted metering, smaller body size with MB-20, built in motordrive, silent mode, ability to use non-Ai lenses Standard, extended shutter speed range, 1/250 sync, multiple finders and wide variety of screens to match lenses, legendary F series construction, able to find for 10-20% of new cost, AA battery use, umm, did I forget anything? Oh yeah, swing it around as a weapon.
    Oh the last point I totally agree! I bet it could take a bullet !

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin