Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,724   Online: 810

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Is the Nikon FM3A the best MF film camera?

Being the most modern and so greatly built, do you guys think is the best MF Nikon body? Opinions....
    Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's a great camera but based on the amazing price you can get such cameras as an FM2 or F3 it may not be the best value.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Yes, turned on the camera yesterday and found out the battery was dead and just keep on shooting on shooting in guess mode. Not the best value but a heck of a camera. Always fun to shot, especially with a motor drive.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Nope. F4 all the way, followed by the F2as. Matrix metering with Ai lenses, built in spot and center weighted metering, smaller body size with MB-20, built in motordrive, silent mode, ability to use non-Ai lenses Standard, extended shutter speed range, 1/250 sync, multiple finders and wide variety of screens to match lenses, legendary F series construction, able to find for 10-20% of new cost, AA battery use, umm, did I forget anything? Oh yeah, swing it around as a weapon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Except the F4 is an AF body.

F3 is the most modern manual focus and really nice to use, but the best is the F, unless you need TTL-OTF flash metering.
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For me, the best MF Nikon body is the F2, especially with the plain prism, though I've never handled an FM3A
    Last edited by lxdude; 07-31-2011 at 05:07 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    It's a great camera but based on the amazing price you can get such cameras as an FM2 or F3 it may not be the best value.
    That's certainly true here in the UK at camera dealers, where a 'mint' condition body can actually cost more than when they were available new.

I have both FM2's and FM3's and the latter is basically a cross between the old FE2 and FM2. The advantage with the FM3 is the ability to use it at all shutter speeds in the event of battery failure. You only lose the auto function and the metering, otherwise you just carry on shooting. Personally I'd be happy with either of the above two models as I don't like cameras which are totally dependent on battery power.
    Carl.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No, but it's one of the best.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I kind of expect this talk on a DSLR forum. It's a pretty damn good camera, but as for being the best, that's objective.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I prefer the F ( 2 CLA) and the F2 ( 1 CLA). I have the FM3A and is a great camera. I prefer the oldies though.
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin