Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,899   Posts: 1,521,070   Online: 923

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Canon AE-1 repair (pref. San Diego area)

It looks like my AE-1 needs the touch of a professional; at the end of a roll yesterday it seemed to get stuck in mid-shutter stroke. The mirror is up, but not physically stuck there---I can push it down, but it springs right back up again. The advance lever feels like it's already advanced, but the release button does nothing.

The old battery was apparently working fine until the failure, but the check button says it's way beyond dead (needle at f/22!). New battery passes the check but doesn't solve the problem.

The little black plastic collar around the shutter speed dial is slightly loose; I've read online that this may mean a piece of its footing has broken off and tangled with the winding mechanism. This sounds like it's above my pay grade to fix, so I'm in search of a competent repair service, ideally close to me as I'd like to avoid shipping the camera.

I know it's likely to cost more to fix than it would to get a new working body, but this particular camera has family history and should be kept in service.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had the same dilemma a few years ago with my father's AE-1. I sent mine to John Titterington and he charges about $50 + shipping for cleaning and calibrating. He is honest and responds to questions promptly.

His address is...

John Titterington
    8109 Wenonga Road
    Leawood, KS 66206

His email...
    jtcamera@aol.com

Here's what a few people said about him on photo dot net. I wouldn't hesitate in sending him mine.
    “I drank what?” - Socrates

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ken Oikawa is a Canon expert; somewhere in California, though I don't think he's in San Diego exactly. His contact info is on APUG somewhere around here...
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've got a camera that when the battery dies mid-stroke, you have to put in a new one and dial the shutter speed to "B" before it will recycle. No idea if that might be helpful with a canon, but throwing it out there just in case. Good luck.
    "To a photographer the world consists of an infinite number of vantage points -- places to stand -- of which very few are altogether satisfactory." (John Szarkowski, Atget)

My flickr

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Murray at Bev-Ray Camera Repair in Temecula has done two AE-1s for me. Good price.delivery earlier than pomised, cameras work like new.
    He's on Old Front Street in old town Temecula.
    (951) 695-1938 Give him a call.
    good luck,

Larry
    "A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest"........Paul Simon

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin