Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,878   Posts: 1,520,316   Online: 1207

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    bdial's thought about the lab cutting the film wrong is something to check also. I have had this happen with slides, where they get off frame and the rest of the roll is cut wrong. Just a thought.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    When you say that half the picture is missing, do you mean that the frame is cut off on the negative?

Otherwise, I am thinking that you may have loaded it wrong, or the camera wasn't advancing properly, or binding, or something. I'm not familiar with the Lomo cameras specifically, but the principle of advancing film across a plane is pretty standard for roll film. If the film was not properly loaded on the take-up side, then you could have all kinds of problems of double/over exposure, half-frames, unexposed bits, etc.

A word of caution... you would also want to be careful how you hold it as the winder is on top of the camera. If your finger is pressing on this bit while you wind it, it will not allow the film to advance easily and might give you problems as well. If this winder spins when you are advancing the film, it should be OK (although the first few frames might not spin as it is still pulling the slack out of the film spool/canister).

Good luck, and don't let a bad experience deter you from shooting more film

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by elammm View Post
    Did I load the film wrong or maybe it was just some dodgy film?
    No and no.

It's the camera that is dodgy -- by design. Or rather, the device that is pretending to be a camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dshambli View Post
    He said that his pictures were coming out black, not his negatives. I took that to mean they were underexposed. He also said that the only pictures that weren't "basically pitch black" were taken outside. Faster film seems reasonable to me.
    ayup, I only read every third or fourth word.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    ayup, I only read every third or fourth word.
    It happens. Let's just hope he gets his problem figured out. There's nothing more frustrating than starting out with something new and getting back bad pictures.

Shooter
    35mm
    I dont think its the camera, yes I know they are over priced and tempermental etc, I think it was a mixture of me being new to the film camera scene, buying the wrong type of iso film for the situation and going to a crappy place to get the developed.
    I have gone into a photography shop in my town, told the guy in there my situation (about boots framing the pictures wrong with the fish eye) and he seems to know what he's talking about, hes going to develope them for me and I'll collect them in two days time, can only hope it comes out how I want it, I think it will.
    Look At My Blog Or My Flickr Too See My Photo's
    Please Click Follow :)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Show this guy your negatives and prints. It would be interesting to hear what happened.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Lets hope you can get it worked out! Don't give up on film. A lot is just learning from mistakes (your own, camera, lab...the list goes on).

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yeah you have to look at the negatives..
    *If there is some evidence of frames but the image is very weak, the shutter fired but the shots are underexposed.
    *If the frame squares are well defined but look blacked out then it is grossly overexposed.
    *If there are long strips if just nothing, then the shutter did not fire or you left the lens cap on (it happens!)

The prints with the partial circles are probably mis-printed and you should be able to ask them to re-print manually. I've had this happen with fisheyes before.. the auto-frame of the machine gets confused. Again, you can always check the negatives for frame spacing.

You did not mention what verision you have but I did a quick search and it appears that the lomo fisheye has a fixed aperture of F8. it doesnt say what the shutter is but I bet it is fixed at like 1/30th. This means that indoors you are probably under-exposing 5 or more stops for iso 100 film (4 stops iso 200, 3 stops iso 100).. anyway, you get the idea.

So unless the lomo actually has slower speeds, you are using a flash, or very high speed film (iso 800+) you can pretty much rule out indoor photography.
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    To follow-up.. yeah the lomo cameras are very limited but that doesnt mean useless. If you have a handheld lightmeter and know the apecs of the camera, you can be much more accurate but using the proper film or flash or opening windows etc.
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin