Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,910   Posts: 1,584,668   Online: 860

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "The Nikon E series lenses lack the prong that engages the Nikkormat's metering post"

Hadn't thought of that. Given the prices, I don't know if the 100/series E would make sense even if it did work with the ftn.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How about a Jupiter 9 in m42 mount? Hard to find a nicer bokeh, and they are easy to come by. I just got a nikkor 85 1.8, as mentioned that is pretty nice too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    85/1.9 and 135/2.5 Super Takumar/SMC etc.
    There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

Shooter
    35mm
    Any of the Nikkor 135mm lenses (3.5 or 2.8). The non-AI versions sell for less than $100 I believe. Also the Nikkor 80-200mm zooms can make good portrait lenses.

If you really want a great bargain tele lens -- get a TX Vivitar 135mm f/2.8 with serial number starting 37...

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattCarey View Post
    I am no expert, and have not tried a lot of lenses. But I have been pleased with the 100mm series E for Nikon. Fairly fast (2.8), good Bokeh (to me) and cheap. Or, they were. I just checked KEH and the bargain grade copy they have is $133. I seem to recall paying a lot less from KEH about 6 years back.
    Series E 100/2.8s seem to be going for around 75 bucks on the big auction site. The herd chasing 105/2.5s pass 'em up and pay way more. BTW the all black version usually goes for less than the 105/2.5 lookalike--same lens under the hood.

jhw

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Tair 11-a in M42...for 130$ or so, it keeps fine pace with a rather more expensive Nikon 135 DC I have; and bokeh as you described, not melted paint, but soft enough to disengage the eye.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello,
    Asahi Pentax had a nice 1.2,8/105 mm Super Takumar or SMC-Takumar, which should be not so expensive. The 1:2,5/135 was one of the best 135 mm lenses ever built but is much more expensive and hard to find in the latest and best SMC version. Pentax also had a rather seldom to find 1:2,8/120 mm lens which was a little bit soft wide open, especially for portraits.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you want cheap and excellent, look at the 135mm f/3.5 Nikkors. One of the sharpest lenses you'll find for so little money. I got my pre AI one in near-mint condition with the hood and original leather case for $50 locally. I got my AI one in outstanding condition for $76 shipped here on APUG. I liked the pre AI one so much that I shopped for an AI as soon as I got my Nikon digital camera. It is one of my main trio of lenses for both film and digital now. I happen to have a few recently shot digital pictures done with the AI at f/4, if you want me to send them to you. Just some snapshots at the park to try out the lens, but they show the sharpness and "bokeh."

In the same vein, but closer to your desired FL, would be an 85mm f/1.8. But I am not sure what they go for, as I have not shopped for one recently.

I can also recommend the Pentax thread mount 105mm f/2.8. Great lens IMO. I never owned one, but I "tested" one for about a month before the estate sales company I worked for sold it on E-Bay. It went for about $75 in near mint condition with caps and leather case. I got the rest of the kit (Spotmatic, 50mm f/1.4, and 35mm f/3.5), as we determined it wouldn't be worth the effort to photograph it and sell it. I always wished I had bought the 105 too.

I prefer the 135mm FL to 85 and 100 for most subjects that I shoot with a medium telephoto, but we are all different.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have a Hanimex branded 135mm f2.8 with a Nikon mount which is surprisingly good.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think there are enough info for Nikkor so I won't repeat.

For M42 I'd recommend Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 135mm f3.5 MC. You may just get it for $100 because I sold one of my mint cond for that.
    Sharp enough and has very pleasant buttery bokeh.
    Jupiter 9 as mentioned above is sharp stopped down but it also has that 'helios' like distracting bokeh you don't like.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin