Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,829   Posts: 1,582,178   Online: 991

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    The portrait lens I would recommend is the 85mm f1.8 Nikkor.
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eSPhotos View Post
    For M42 I'd recommend Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 135mm f3.5 MC.
    I also have one of those. Mine was in a bunch of stuff including five other lenses, a couple of camera bodies and some expired film... all for £10.

I gave most of the other stuff away but kept the Sonnar 135mm. I would also recommend this one for M42 but there are so many lenses made with this mount that there will be many other good ones too.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eSPhotos View Post
    I think there are enough info for Nikkor so I won't repeat.

For M42 I'd recommend Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 135mm f3.5 MC. You may just get it for $100 because I sold one of my mint cond for that.
    Sharp enough and has very pleasant buttery bokeh.
    Jupiter 9 as mentioned above is sharp stopped down but it also has that 'helios' like distracting bokeh you don't like.
    I wouldn't equate the Jupiter 9 bokeh with that of the Helios. J-9 is a Sonnar copy and to my eye has the smooth Sonnar bokeh, as does the J-3. However bokeh is in the eye of the beholder, so best to see for one's self.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    M42 - Super Takumar 50mm f/1.4
    M42 - Helios 58mm f/2 - stunningly beautiful portrait lens that changes character when you stop it down.
    M42 - Jupiter 9 85mm f/2 (more than $100 likely)

Must have lens shade for all of these.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks, the info here is amazing. now I can widen my search. Actually it's not that I don't like the bokeh pf the Helios 44 ( i actually use it quite a a lot), But for the look I am going for I want it to be "tame".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Do not exclude the 100mm and 75-150mm Nikon Series E lenses from your search. They may do not have the prongs (also called “rabbit ears’) that allow the Nikkormat’s built-in light meter to work; however, if you are using a hand-held light meter, you do not need the built-in light meter. Also, if you are shooting portraits using flash under studio conditions, you do not need the built-in light meter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hard to beat the 105/2.5. And as mentioned, pre-AI are pretty cheap.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Actually I use a Series E 50mm in my nikkormat, I use the DOF button for stop down metering. Plus, Since I started with film a few months almost a year ago all my cameras do not have a meter (busted). The Nikkormat I have now tho has a working one, a nice bonus. I'll look into the zoom, I've always stayed away from zooms (made me very lazy), but I'll consider it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another thought. How about the Tamron Adaptall-2 135mm f/2.5? I have one and although I haven't had the opportunity to use it in anger yet, the test shots I did were very encouraging. Nice colours and bokeh, and the added bonus that it is cross-platform with the correct adapters.
    There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here are some test shots. Three of the lenses are available on the used market for $100 or less.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11336821@N00/6012452194/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails composite1 03 sml.jpg  

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin