Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,971   Posts: 1,558,589   Online: 1106

Thread: Noob question

Shooter
    35mm

Noob question

It's been years since I've used a film camera(Have a k1000 on the way ), and even then it was mainly disposables or cheap 35mm camera's. I never remember having to load film in any real darkness, just in standard lighting. Do you need to? I bought a XG-1 and that didn't work, but I didn't find that out until loading it with film(In normal room light). I then took that film out and put it back in the little canister and put it away along with bringing back the XG-1. Is that film, or at least those first few frames ruined? It is 200 color 24exp film.
    Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Did you rewind the film first or just pull it out. If you rewound then they should be okay.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Avoid direct sunlight.

Ron

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Hi congrats on you camera! It is a great one!

You can load film in light just not recommended in say bright outdoors, if you need to, find a wall or area w a shadow.

When you get to the end of the roll there should be a little button on the camera that you push, then rewind the film back into the canister. Then when you know it is all spooled up, the back can be opened.

That roll of film, if you exposed to light is probably ruined if you manually reloaded it back into the canister in the light.

Wish you the best with your new excellent camera!

Ask questions if you get stuck. A lot about photography is learning from mistakes. It is great fun! Best!
    Last edited by zsas; 08-02-2011 at 08:33 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    By the way you are not asking a noob question, a noob is one who doest ask a question at all

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Subdued light is OK, unless it's infrared film, which should be loaded in as dark a room as possible, I seem to recall reading.
    Nikon 35mm, Mamiya 645 & RB67, Leica IIIb, other bits and pieces

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMeadows View Post
    Subdued light is OK, unless it's infrared film, which should be loaded in as dark a room as possible, I seem to recall reading.
    Luckily, I just bought :
    Applied Infrared Photography M-80 by Kodak

I have a lot to learn !

Ron

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's little unclear what you did but... the portion of the film that stayed in the canister never got exposed to anything. That part is fine. The part you pulled out before you closed the back of the camera IS exposed to light, ie. bad. If you loaded the film and released shutter few times, that part may be exposed - depending on what was wrong with your first camera.

It's usually OK to load and unload the film in day light. If I had to do it outside, I usually go to shade or if that's impossible, turn my back to the sun so as to create a shadow with my own body.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    It's little unclear what you did but... the portion of the film that stayed in the canister never got exposed to anything. That part is fine. The part you pulled out before you closed the back of the camera IS exposed to light, ie. bad. If you loaded the film and released shutter few times, that part may be exposed - depending on what was wrong with your first camera.

It's usually OK to load and unload the film in day light. If I had to do it outside, I usually go to shade or if that's impossible, turn my back to the sun so as to create a shadow with my own body.
    Well if the film was ruined, it probably is now. It wouldn't rewind when I took it out of the camera so I just put it back in the canister, a few minutes ago I turned off my lights and other than my LCD monitor it was pitch black. I pulled out the entire roll of film and then wound it back up again as it was stuck or something.
    What I had originally done with the non working camera was just load the film into it, tried to turn the camera on but the mirror was stuck up. I then took the film out, it wouldn't wind back in so I just put it in the canister.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would certainly not trust the film now. It may have looked pitch black to you but I bet there was enough light to fog the film. Not much loss though as roll of film is just few dollars. I wish you have a better luck with your next camera.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin