Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,707   Posts: 1,548,512   Online: 876

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What scares me the most is that many people carry lens cleaning supplies directly in their pants pocket, camera bags, or in any place they can find. They take it out and wipe the lens... Yikes! I keep mine in a clean zip lock bag that is replaced often. My cloths gets washed and cleaned often. I actually never had problems, and I am VERY particular about my lenses.

I have tried paper kind (also kept in plastic bags). I never liked these as they are not as absorbent and often leave smear marks. They seem to cause more scratches by minute grit based on my experience with eye glass lenses. I don't use them anymore.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    Those are paper, and I have a package of it already. I use them to clean negatives. Problem with these is that they absorb liquid very poorly and they just tend to push them around. Fine for using with cleaners that evaporate quickly like neg cleaners but not so nice for lens cleaners.
    I'm surprised of your answer, if your refer to PED-PADS made by Photographic Solutions, Inc.

They look and feel to me like some form of tissue (actually, "non-tissued tissue"). They seem to absorb what I put on them (PEC-12 or, more often, Tetenal Graphic arts cleaner) just as a cotton rag would do. Actually I was convinced they were made of some form of tissue (considering the cost that in fact should not have been likely). I have no idea what are they made of, maybe cellulose, but it looks and feel to me like tissue, not like paper. I never tried to put on them something else, though. Thinking about it, they look like those "fake sheets" they give you in trains when you travel on sleepers, a one-use "non-tissued tissue".

For cleaning lenses, I use air, a blower brush (more the blower, than the brush). The brush of my blower brush has a cap on it to protect it from dust. And one can always wash it with water and soap when needed.

When there is a fingerprint on the lens, after blowing air I just breathe out over the lens and then clean it with a common paper handkerchief, which is taken "new" out of its packet, and I clean the lens with circular motions starting from the centre and spiralling outwards.

I bought decades ago some Kodak Paper stuff (small paper sheets) to clean lenses, which I basically never use because by tactile sensation it feels "hard" on the lens. I prefer paper handkerchiefs.

I never use protective filters on lenses. I always put a cap on lenses before putting the lens, or the camera, back in the bag. I find very little cleaning needs with this method. I only take pictures in urban situations.

I understand putting protective filters on lenses when going to the seaside, or when hiking etc. For the normal town walk I just prefer the best optical quality my lenses can give me.

Fabrizio
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yup, talking about THAT white square stuff.

I'm not sure what that stuff is made of, either. The difference from cotton for example appears to be, when made wet, cotton will absorb liquid into the fabric and into the thread themselves. This stuff retains liquid in between the treads but not into the thread. It always left streaking marks when used with lens cleaning liquid.

I never use ordinary paper product of any kind.... When used to clean eye glasses, which is usually made of polycarbonate (easily scratch-able) they can leave scratches. I don't use it with camera lenses either.

I dunno... microfiber cloths always works for me so I'm sticking with that stuff (and can of air and blow brush stuff).
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin