Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,914   Posts: 1,521,755   Online: 1066

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Buying microfiber cloths in bulk

I'm not sure which forum this question fits but I use 35mm format most often so here it is....

I am thinking of buying LOTS of microfiber cloths. I can buy these at 3 to 10 dollars each at any camera stores, but these are available in bulk at places that supply eye glass stores for less than 10th of this cost. (provided you buy 100 or more)

The problem is.... there are many kinds and most of them aren't all that clear about which ones are lint free kind and gentle enough for camera lenses. Not all microfiber cloths are lint free and some are very VERY linty.

Have anyone bought these from any of those suppliers? If so, can you recommend a company and a particular model of cloths?
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The small square Pentax microfibre cloths are the best ones I have found. Generally better than the cloths that come with my glasses...

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've tried the rest, this one seems to be the best !
    Also reasonably priced, usually ...

http://www.thetoolworkshop.com/3mlen...cloth9021.aspx

Ron

Shooter
    35mm
    If you use them to clean film, PEC-PADS, also sold in 100-pack, are a good solution.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The best ones I have found are the white Leica cloths. With the name on it they jump up to about $ 11.00 yikes.

I have thought about going into a fabric store with one in hand and asking a GM to do some research and see if he/she could get me a yard or two.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Tiger Cloth. Specifically made as an Anti-Static Microfiber cleaning cloth for photographic film and other uses. If you do an Internet search you will find a bulk supplier, that's what I did.-Dick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mine come from the Dollar General store, three for a buck or thereabouts.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Those look like a good deal..
    PEC-PAD Lint Free Wipes 4"x4" 100per/Pkg
    $9.59 on amazon. Are these like a paper wet-wipe or are they a cloth?

I currently buy micro-fiber 'glass cleaning' cloths from the dollar tree store. These are micro-fiber towels. I cut them into small squares.. so I get 16 or 32 for a buck depending on how small I cut them. They also have micro-fiber cloths for eyeglasses but its like one small cloth for a dollar.

Regarding the expensive name-brand cloth at the camera store, what a ripoff! And it says you can wash them to reuse them, but I wouldnt trust that. You get particles of dust on the cloth and then you end up scratching the hell out of the glass. I use them once and throw them away. Thats the only way to go.
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Those are paper, and I have a package of it already. I use them to clean negatives. Problem with these is that they absorb liquid very poorly and they just tend to push them around. Fine for using with cleaners that evaporate quickly like neg cleaners but not so nice for lens cleaners.

I clean and reuse microfiber cloths. That scratch with embedded grit stuff is true every time after the first time. I wash them and dry them by themselves so that they don't pickup any additional grit in the process.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For cleaning lenses I would only use disposable lens wipes made for camera use. No matter how careful you might be in washing microfiber cloths, it only takes one piece of grit to scratch a lens. In fact touching a lens with anything other than air is risky. More lenses have been ruined by overzealous cleaning than by anything else.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin