Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,695   Online: 862

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi, If the needle doesn’t move in AUTO but the camera shutter speed changes wrt to light then there is something wrong with the needle assembly and you may still use your camera especially outdoors when shutter speeds high enough not to worry about shaking. Have you ever changed your focusing screen? The meter needle can be damaged if you hit around it when the focusing screen is removed. I have 3 FEs, one I bought nearly junk and repaired it but the needle was OK.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by al5256 View Post
    Hi, If the needle doesn’t move in AUTO but the camera shutter speed changes wrt to light then there is something wrong with the needle assembly and you may still use your camera especially outdoors when shutter speeds high enough not to worry about shaking. Have you ever changed your focusing screen? The meter needle can be damaged if you hit around it when the focusing screen is removed. I have 3 FEs, one I bought nearly junk and repaired it but the needle was OK.
    If the needle--there's only one--doesn't move, then how does it register shutter speed? The green marker for shutter speed is locked on "A" in Auto mode. Not sure I follow on the focus screen thing either, unless it was wildly misaligned when the frame was dropped then jammed back--something that would probably just bust the drop-down screen frame for keeps.

Shooter
    35mm
    It's possible for the camera to function correctly in Auto with the needle pointer not moving. The needle could be jam, broken wiring in the coil or broken wiring to the meter movement. I was asking the question trying to determine the problem.
    I am trying to locate the service manual for the FE. But in general, in Auto mode the light strike the photocell generate current. This current going thru a logarithmic amplifier to make it proportional to the EV rather than light intensity. This output is fed into a subtracting amplifier, subtracting the amount of stop down from the aperture coupling as well as the ISO dial from the number of stop slower than max ISO. This output is then fed into the shutter speed control circuit as well as the meter indicator. The meter indicator can be dead and the camera still function properly.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    That being the case, then only the lab can tell if you're right. Who needs that? Looks like the OP can either fix it, dump it or get another FE.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by mooseontheloose View Post

So the question is, what's wrong with my meter, and how can I fix it?
    Repairing the Nikon FE is covered pretty well in this book:
    http://www.amazon.com/Camera-Repair-.../dp/1584280417

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BobD View Post
    Repairing the Nikon FE is covered pretty well in this book:
    http://www.amazon.com/Camera-Repair-.../dp/1584280417
    I've seen the book and it's a bit shy of a service manual.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would think you could isolate whether it's the meter needle or the metering/camera by pointing it at differnet brightness scenes and firing the shutter... you should be able to see (if you've got the back open) or hear the difference between fast and slow shutter speeds. If the shutter fires (not on the M90 setting) then it's not the battery.

Nige.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    I've seen the book and it's a bit shy of a service manual.
    I've seen the service manuals and I prefer the book.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi everyone, thanks. The shutter fires correctly at all speeds. 1/250 sounds right, 4 seconds sounds right (give or take). I don't usually shoot in auto, but regardless of what brightness range I'm pointing at, regardless of whether the camera is loaded with film or not, the needle doesn't move. It doesn't have the standard screen, but I didn't change it - it came that way. In any event, it looks like a busted meter (I know I could still use it with an external meter, but who wants to do that with 35mm?). I've had such poor luck with cameras recently I think I might bite the bullet and spring for repairs on both cameras. I am, after all, in the land of Nikon.
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you can't get a Nikon FE light meter repaired in in Japan where can you ?, this reminds me of a recent post from a member in Gottenburg Sweden on the medium format section asking where he could get his Hasselblad fixed.
    Ben

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin