Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,597   Online: 853

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Nikon FE meter inoperative

So this is my third FE (what can I say, I love them!), bought from a member here.

I cleaned the camera out today and replaced all the seals. New batteries (the indicator light goes on, the shutter fires correctly at all speeds). But...the meter (matching needle) does not work. I've never had this issue before (other than from a dead battery). I even replaced the battery compartment from this camera with the one from my previous camera and it doesn't work (but the other camera works in both instances). According to the seller it had a CLA recently, but I've had the camera so long now that it can't be returned (this was not an issue when I first tested the camera after receiving it).

So the question is, what's wrong with my meter, and how can I fix it?
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Call me cynical but I've all but abandoned repair of mid-market 70s-80s SLRs, choosing instead to hold a couple(OK, I've got 3 FEs, all working)in reserve that I got cheap. Historically strong sellers like the FE are plentiful and often inexpensive in nice shape. Repair services are thin and pricey. Who's willing to pay $100+ for a repair on a $50 camera when another is available?

I'd get a "new" FE and skip the fix unless you it's a DIY job or a cheap repair.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd agree, but this is a new FE to replace an older, falling apart FE.

I do have an F100 I can use in the meantime, but it's much more intuitive for me to use the manual FE, especially for evening/dusk shots (that I have planned for this weekend).
    Rachelle

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sorry. I'm guessing if there's power to activate the shutter(all speeds working, right?), then it's a contact issue at the meter or the rewind lever switch. They're tough little cameras.

Shooter
    35mm
    Can you shoot in auto? The meter indication is in the down or up position?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One thought - you have advanced the winder to frame No. 1 haven't you? As I recall, you don't get a reading on the FE2 until you have reached frame No. 1.

Dave

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave in Kansas View Post
    One thought - you have advanced the winder to frame No. 1 haven't you? As I recall, you don't get a reading on the FE2 until you have reached frame No. 1.

Dave
    They meter when empty, Dave.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah, this is an FE, not FE2, so that isn't an issue. I did try it on auto but the meter still doesn't work so I guess it is a contact issue. I guess short of me taking the camera apart there's nothing I can do?
    Rachelle

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sad but true. Yanking the top off isn't that easy. Then what do you do? Good you've got other stuff to shoot. I'd skip the amateur surgery and look for a repair shop. I've got one beater FE and two pretty ones--love 'em to death for their size and fast handling.

Shooter
    35mm
    Well, Garry's Camera has a standard CLA/Repair charge for FM/FE type cameras of $55 plus $8 shipping (so not necessarily over $100 as was stated above). Besides, buy another camera and you may well have more problems sooner rather than later, have one re-built and it should be good to go for a long time. Garry's has done very good work for me, had decent turn-around time. This work included Meter problems with an FE, but that was a battery compartment issue, which he re-built. Send him an email, he will advise if it's something he may be able to repair - no guarantee.

I like to have these old cameras serviced, they deserve a cleaning and proper lube/adjustment if you plan to use them. If they are just for decoration, no need. I like to believe that I'm Resurrecting them for a future generation by having them serviced now. :-)

I think it's a shame to just toss them if they break and can be repaired. YMMV

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin