Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,723   Posts: 1,515,004   Online: 1244

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Wirgin Edinex 35mm camera with 45mm f/2 Schneider-Kreuznach Xenon

I have a chance to buy this camera at a local antique mall. It caught my eye and for good reason, it's got a pretty awesome lens & shutter on it. The above mounted in a Compur-Rapid.

Not unlike this... http://www.flickr.com/photos/3133896...l-camerapedia/

Anyways, I'd just like to know a bit more about this camera if anyone can impart some of their wisdom. It appears to be very solidly built, the focus helicoid was smooth and the shutter even works ok, though a bit sticky. Do you think an LF shutter guy like Paul Ebel could work on it?

The f/2 Xenon is what really has me interested in it, and also the solid construction and beautiful condition. Interestingly, the back plate can open up, and loads from the bottom like a Leica.

Should I have any trouble using modern 35mm cassettes?
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If the shutter can be removed a quick flush with Isopropyl alcohol is usually enough nto stop the sticking. It's a standard shutter so any repair shop can give it a CLA.

Standard cassettes should fit but like early Leicas you may need to retrim the leader.

Wirgin themselves weren't known for precision engineering but they were still quite a reasonable manufacturer, there was more hand craftsmanship to assemble their cameras particularly the later SLR' than other manufacturers.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Film cassettes are probably the only thing that hasn't chaanged since the invention of the Leica. If you bulk load your own cassettes you may have to cut a Leica style leader on them.

As for the lens I think pre-war lenses are uncoated and you may experience serious flare in some lighting situations.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    As long as the seller doesn't want an exorbitant price, I would go for it. Basically a cheaper and better Compur Leica. Before we lost the Wirgin company, its designer put together one last totally new camera which he tried to sell to Kodak and Leitz, but became the Rollei 35. If it had become a LeIca, people would be paying $2000 for used black bodies with brassing. If it had becoMe a Kodak, they would be all over Craigslist. Since it was Rollei, it was a brilliant start, became too expensive to manufacture in Germany So moved to. Singapore and still bankrupted the company. You can fiNd them for $30 if you try hard. Most German or Japanese cameras made before the canon AE1 are worth having. Just for fun.

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Someonenameddavid View Post
    <SNIP> Before we lost the Wirgin company, its designer put together one last totally new camera which he tried to sell to Kodak and Leitz, but became the Rollei 35.
    Wow! That is news to me, that Wirgin designed (or came up with the idea for) the Rollei 35. Do you have any more information, links or sources for that?

You also mention "we"... Very curious what you mean by that.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The lens I know it, because it is in my Retina IIIc. It is extraordinary.
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks guys, good stuff!

They were asking $90 in the shop, but I got them down to $55 (over the phone). I honestly think that it's a slightly premier price, but then again, I can see it in person and not pay shipping. That considered, it's probably an ok price.

I believe you Pumalite; I too had a IIIc for a short period (shot a roll through it before giving it as a gift ), and the pictures have a great look to them. I'm thinking if I get an auxiliary rangefinder and walk around with a light meter, it's really not a totally unpractical camera, with the added bonus of having some history.
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin