Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,963   Posts: 1,558,360   Online: 813
      
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21
  1. #1
    ic-racer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Midwest USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,297

    Fixing a Yashica FX-3, mechanical SLR

    I got another FX-3 free with some other stuff. This is how I fixed it up.

    List of things to do:
    1) General Exterior Cleaning
    2) Viewfinder/Pentaprism/Focus screen cleaning
    3) De-gooping old rubber
    4) Replace old rubber
    5) Re-do exterior grip
    6) Adjust meter
    7) Replace small screw holding the top on
    8) Re-glue rubber grip to the shutter speed knob
    9) Look for any other problem areas

    This is the camera as it came in the mail:
    Last edited by ic-racer; 08-07-2011 at 06:38 PM. Click to view previous post history.

  2. #2
    ic-racer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Midwest USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,297
    It came with a 50mm f1.7 ML lens. This is a six-element lens. I already have the 7-element 50mm 1.4 ML and the small 5 element 50mm f2 ML. I probably won't use this lens. The meter did not work, but a quick inspection of the battery compartment revealed two new batteries. They were upside-down. By reversing them the meter lights worked. All the foam rubber on the camera was a gooey mess. As is usual for these cameras the outer covering had come off, leaving a slippery dirty fabric.
    Last edited by ic-racer; 08-07-2011 at 06:32 PM. Click to view previous post history.

  3. #3
    ic-racer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Midwest USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,297
    The FX-3 top comes off pretty easy, though, on this camera the wind lever screw was very tight. The viewfinder was really too foggy to use so I had to get the top off. I needed to cut a groove in the screw and used a flat blade screwdriver. Otherwise I would have not bothered to take the top off. In the end I was able to preserve the screw. This is a reverse thread screw, and I don't have any spares lying around.
    Last edited by ic-racer; 08-07-2011 at 06:02 PM. Click to view previous post history.

  4. #4
    ic-racer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Midwest USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,297
    The pentaprism came out very easily. The glass surfaces were very fogged, but cleaned off easily. The eyepiece lens was also severely fogged on the inside surface and, again, this cleaned off easily. The focus screen was cleaned only with air or Dust-off. I don't ever touch these things.

  5. #5
    ic-racer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Midwest USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,297
    With the top off I could check the meter. There are two adjustments, one for slope and the other for overall sensitivity. The slope adjustment (millivolts change per change in exposure EV) is set by a trimmer pot. The manual specifies a setting of exactly 226mV at the indicated test points. This one came out to 225.9mV so no adjustment was needed. The overall sensitivity can be set once the top is back on.


  6. #6
    ic-racer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Midwest USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,297
    I cleaned the old goopey foam rubber off and cut new strips from some spools of adhesive-backed black neoprene foam rubber I got from McMaster Carr. A few bucks gets a lifetime supply. I got mine around 2000 but I believe this is the link to the same stuff: # 93625K248

    The adhesive wants to stick to the sides of the channel, so I take some time to get it right. I replaced 9 pieces of rubber, this includes two small pieces on the bottom by the rewind-release button.

    The EXPOSURE CHECK button label is crooked, but there is no smearing of the adhesive, so it probably came from the factory that way. I'll just leave it that way as the sticker is otherwise in good condition.

    Last edited by ic-racer; 08-07-2011 at 06:24 PM. Click to view previous post history.

  7. #7
    ic-racer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Midwest USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,297
    I will order new covering, but in the mean time I used some spare latex based leather dye on the fabric remains of the covering. Here it is after the work was completed. Nothing needed to be done to the shutter or wind mechanism. If I remember, I'll update this thread when the covering arrives.

  8. #8
    ic-racer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Midwest USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,297
    The mirror angle was off on this camera. The FX-3 repair manual does not cover mirror adjustment, but the Contax 139 manual shows it well (nearly identical mechanics):

  9. #9
    ic-racer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Midwest USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,297
    To get to the screw I took the front plate off.

  10. #10
    ic-racer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Midwest USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,297
    After I took the front plate off I saw that they put two holes in the front plate to access the screws. Its nice to have a lens in place to do the adjustment.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin