Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,294   Posts: 1,535,537   Online: 1069

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Nikon 50mm f1.8D vs Nikon 50mm f1.8 Series E version II. Which one is better?

Hello fellow forummers,

Just recently, i got a offer for a unused new in box condition Series E 50mm f1.8 version II from a friendly uncle after we chatted about film cameras. His offer was around USD103 for the unit.

At the same time, a brand new nikon 50mm f1.8D is going for about the same price too..

Question is, which would be a better choice to pair with a Nikon FM3a? Is there any difference?

the hunt for a 50mm f1.8 AIS unit is not possible, thus only left with the 2 choices above, need opinion

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello,
    in my opinion the price is much too high. A used series E 1,8/50 in mint condition is sold here in Germany for about 30 €. Compared to the AF 1,8/50 D it is nevertheless the better choice as the focussing ring has a larger turning angle and therefore it will be easier to focus manually. The optics of the AF are better since the lenses are multi-coated. The series E has a close focus of only 0.6 m which is rather bad for a standard lens, most have 0.4 to 0.5 m, some even 0.33 m. If you can get an used older Ai 1,8/50 (not AiS !), you'll get the best 50 mm Nikkor for the FM 3a. There was sold a very small and very light weight 2,8/45 mm "pancake" Nikkor with the FM 3 a, which is a classic 4-lenses Tessar Type. This lens is said to be very good and can used with AF cameras with matrix measuring because of its CPU but in my opinion it is too small for the fingers to operate.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    E series Nikkors always got the inferior label against other Nikon optics, while optically, this is questionable, as the optical designs were only slightly modified, the construction was indeed based on plastic, to provide the hobbyist and begginers alike, a more affordable Nikon price and therefore, prevent them buying thirdy party names, like Soligor, Tamrom, to name a few.

So, if you really care about construction standards, E series might not be your thing and as previously stated, the price seems a bit pushy compared to what's practised in bigger markets like Germany, with more time and effort, you can find yourself a better deal than that.

Cheers

Shooter
    35mm
    Either one would work fine with the FM3a and either is optically sound. The series E price is too much. I woud not put either one on the FM3a because neither looks good on the FM3a. Spending the extra money for the FM3a rather than getting an FE2 or FM2 then I would put an AI 50mm f/1.4. Some prefer the pancake lens but prefer the 50mm f/1.4 AI-S.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Forget the Series E. The "D" is better, but better even is a pre AI, 50mm f/2
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumalite View Post
    Why? The 50/1.8AFD is a great lens--on an AF body! Manually-focused, it's sloppy and very plasticky--in fact, it's hard to find a Nikon AFD lens as plasticky. Though over-priced(they're worth 40-50 bucks mint), the 50/1.8E is pin-sharp, very compact, and easy to focus--big surprise for a MF 50/1.8 lens...It would be a great match for the FM3a.
    Last edited by CGW; 08-08-2011 at 08:18 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I believe this thing of the pictures is a matter of personal taste and I'm partial to pre AI lenses.
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumalite View Post
    +1

I have/had f1.4 f1.8 and f2 versions of 50mm. In my opinion, 50mm f2 (mine is AIS) is the best.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eSPhotos View Post
    +1

I have/had f1.4 f1.8 and f2 versions of 50mm. In my opinion, 50mm f2 (mine is AIS) is the best.
    FYI the OP has a choice between the AF and the E series 50/1.8--that's it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by André E.C. View Post
    with more time and effort, you can find yourself a better deal than that.

Cheers
    Or a better uncle

pentaxuser

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin