Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,713   Posts: 1,483,016   Online: 679

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by George2010 View Post
    I always thought the motor drive was a technological advance over manual levers, albeit initially at the "price" of increased weight. Once drives became incorporated into camera bodies, as opposed to attachments, the manual lever disappeared. Since manual levers were prone to damage and jamming if misused -- I would think that a motor drive would probably increase a camera's overall useful life rather than detract from it.
    Regarding reliability, it probably has the opposite effect.
    More "technology" isn't always a good thing.

There are simply more switches, gears, one or more electric motors and possibly governing electronics which could fail.

I never had a problem with a lever-advance, but I certainly had a camera with a built-in motor die on me.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would think the winder has the edge for camera durability,for the before-mentioned consistent torque reasons.
    In other words,given two similar cameras having made,say,10K exposures,the drive equipped model should be in better shape.
    I suspect the same is true of vehicles with auto transmissions :which keep the engine in the best torque range , while Stickshifts, in unskilled hands, subject the car to lugging and over-revving.

There is a valid use for the C setting I have found :In poor light,when shutter speed is marginal, a tiny burst of frames normally results in one frame which is much sharper than the others,or what you could achieve with repeated,thumb-wound attempts.
    It is usually the 2nd frame.

Shooter
    35mm

Motor Winder OM

I used to keep an Olympus Winder 2 on my OM 's simply because they made the camera easier to control. Never set them to the faster speed. I now have a grip which is shared between my Leica M6 and M3. Same reason.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    Motor drives may not directly cause harm to the camera but, cameras, especially those targeted to the consumer end of the market tend to wear out sooner when used with a motor drive. This is simply due to the fact that shutters and film transport mechanisms have a finite life expectancy. When one shoots a 35mm SLR with a motor drive, one tends to shoot more frames faster than without. So, it may seem like the motor drive is hard on the camera but, in reality it is only accelerating the normal wear out.
    The same can happen to a well-used pro camera as well.

The shutter on my FM2n literally exploded on a day I was shooting a large amount of portraits with a motor drive.

Obviously, the culprit was the shutter, but the powerful stroke of the motor drive ripped what a thumb push would not have.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin