Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,742   Posts: 1,515,584   Online: 926

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Definitely not a pro camera.

I was repairing Nikons when the FMxx were popular. Since our clientele was 90% pro, I never saw one that I recall.

- Leigh

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh B View Post
    I was repairing Nikons when the FMxx were popular . . . I never saw one that I recall.- Leigh
    Reliability is definitely the first requirement . . .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A "Professional" camera is/was one that the manufacturers and distributors would:
    1) "accessorize" with professionally oriented features and accessories;
    2) market to professional photographers; and
    3) support with enhanced repair and accessory resources.

This means that there are a wide variety of types of "professional" cameras. For example, a photojournalist requires one type (a Nikon F2?), whereas someone doing high volumes of photo-micrography might choose an Olympus OM body.

Was an FM3A a body that Nikon would support in the same way they would support an F5?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's funny that when the F3 was on sale; nobody wanted to buy it,Everybody stuck to his Niko F, F2, F2AS,Nikkormats, but would not buy the F3.Nikon had to raise the price of the F2 AND lower the price os the F3 for that to happen.
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumalite View Post
    It's funny that when the F3 was on sale; nobody wanted to buy it,Everybody stuck to his Niko F, F2, F2AS,Nikkormats, but would not buy the F3.Nikon had to raise the price of the F2 AND lower the price os the F3 for that to happen.
    Funny but the F3 had a much longer production run than the F2. Price wasn't the only reason.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Funny but the F3 had a much longer production run than the F2. Price wasn't the only reason.
    Price ws the reason they started to buy it over the F2
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumalite View Post
    Price ws the reason they started to buy it over the F2
    Yes price was the reason I bought the F3. Because in 1982 it's less expensive to buy the F3HP and the MD-4 than just the MD-2 and the MB-1 battery pack for my F2AS. But after using the F3 it grew on me and although I like both, if I have to make the choice I would pick the F3 over the F2. The long production run of the F3 I think has to do with the fact that the F3 has been proven its worth because even after I used the F5 for a while I come back to the F3. It's just the right amount of camera for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    These days all you need is an iPhone to be a pro.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brucemuir View Post
    These days all you need is an iPhone to be a pro.
    Yes, I just place my iPhone in the 4x5 enlarger and get great 16x20 prints!
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    Yes price was the reason I bought the F3. Because in 1982 it's less expensive to buy the F3HP and the MD-4 than just the MD-2 and the MB-1 battery pack for my F2AS. But after using the F3 it grew on me and although I like both, if I have to make the choice I would pick the F3 over the F2. The long production run of the F3 I think has to do with the fact that the F3 has been proven its worth because even after I used the F5 for a while I come back to the F3. It's just the right amount of camera for me.
    I agree. I also found out the F3 and F4 are excellent cameras.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin