Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,550   Posts: 1,573,073   Online: 814

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    I am taking the risk that the definition of a pro camera isn't clear and also the fact that just about any camera can be used for professional work. But I want to answer the question that the OP asked and I THINK it isn't the answer he/she was looking for.
    In my opinion, the FM3a isn't a pro camera. It's a camera designed to be a nostalgia. It's a well rounded, just what one needs to take pictures. Most people who own the FM3a are very gentle with it. It's a collectible at introduction.
    The FM3a isn't the best Nikon manual focus camera either. It was not meant to be. It is a just right, just enough, nice, elegant camera but not the best.
    Anyone can debate those points and I am not saying that what I have said must be true. In this post I would like to state my opinion rather than saying that how do you define a pro camera and the best camera for one isn't best for others.

Shooter
    35mm
    http://imaging.nikon.com/history/chr.../history-fm3a/

Nikon didn't even refer to it as a professional camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AezranHakim View Post
    the FM3a is a really really good camera
    That's not one of the choices!!!
    Jason

Shooter
    35mm RF
    yes, i think the FM3a is a good camera

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Vsanzbajo View Post
    I heard 2 people arguing about this subject at the camera store. I thought it was a pro model, but what is your opinion. I did not say anything because I was not sure.
    Thanks in advance.
    I bet those 2 agreed that FM3a is a GOOD camera.

agw

Shooter
    35mm
    Wo cares?

Camera used by professional photographer (= earning most of his income by photograpy*) = pro camera.
    Camera used by amateur photographer (the rest) = amateur camera.

Most of the cameras sold are amateur cameras, regardless of the specific model.
    All of mine are amateur cameras.

*) probably opening an entirely different can of worms here...

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by agw View Post
    Wo cares?

Camera used by professional photographer (= earning most of his income by photograpy*) = pro camera.
    Camera used by amateur photographer (the rest) = amateur camera.

Most of the cameras sold are amateur cameras, regardless of the specific model.
    All of mine are amateur cameras.

*) probably opening an entirely different can of worms here...
    Can's empty--thankfully. Maybe we can move along to something substantial/helpful/informative?

Shooter
    35mm
    Following that line of thinking a F6 would be an amateur camera if used by an amateur.

Can't wait to try that one out.

Shooter
    35mm
    I was a working photographer making a living from my photographs between 1983 and 1989 (freelance/press/events). My two main cameras were a Nikon F3 and a Nikon FM2. I used the FM2 more than my F3 because of its faster flash sync speed. Of the hundreds (thousands?) of rolls I put in both cameras, neither failed me. When I moved up to medium format, I still kept the FM2 in my bag because it was lighter and reliable.

I still have both cameras today. They both still work. Cosmetically, the F3 looks rougher, but the FM2's meter doesn't work and the hotshoe is loose. I keep them both for sentimental reasons.

p.s. I used the F3 mostly for outside photography as it had aperture priority. It was much faster than having to shoot in manual mode.
    Last edited by snegron; 08-17-2011 at 03:51 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For the professional photographer for whom the FM3A most closely serviced, it was most definitely a professional camera. Five years earlier and there would have been no doubt. Unfortunately by the time the camera was even introduced, ALL film cameras technically fell out of the definition of "professional".
    http://www.zone-10.com

When you turn your camera on, does it return the favor?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin