Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,930   Posts: 1,522,167   Online: 1011

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by baachitraka View Post
    Is om-2n like om-1n on manual mode? Just curious...
    Yes they are, except if they don't have working batteries installed, where:

1) with the OM-1n the meter doesn't function but otherwise the camera is fully functional; and
    2) with the OM-2n the meter doesn't function and one shutter speed is fully functional.

If you haven't seen it, the Unofficial Olympus OM Sales Information File is invaluable:

http://star.ucl.ac.uk/~rwesson/esif/om-sif.htm

There are links to scanned manuals at the bottom of most listings.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nice info through the link. Wondering, what will happen if I insert my 430 Ex II speedlite on om-2n shoe.

Right now, I am using the same flash on om-1n with manual settings(flash power).
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by baachitraka View Post
    Nice info through the link. Wondering, what will happen if I insert my 430 Ex II speedlite on om-2n shoe.

Right now, I am using the same flash on om-1n with manual settings(flash power).

Does it give you a flash ready signal in the OM viewfinder?

I think I've tried an Olympus T-32 on an inexpensive Canon EOS film body with no apparent adverse effect. But I'd always be concerned that the different pattern of contacts might short something that ought not be connected.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Buy an OM-2n and live with both of them. They will outlast you.
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    :-) No, it does not. But I trust 4-AA batteries will last at-least for three to four rolls of film.

Nevertheless, 430 EX II speedlite with 4-AA batteries has lasted nearly 400 flashes during a wedding shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Does it give you a flash ready signal in the OM viewfinder?

I think I've tried an Olympus T-32 on an inexpensive Canon EOS film body with no apparent adverse effect. But I'd always be concerned that the different pattern of contacts might short something that ought not be connected.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you buy either OM1 or OM2 and want a CLA or other work, I highly recommend Mike Spencer http://www.camerarepairs-r-us.co.uk/ in the UK.

Shooter
    35mm
    As far as I know Baachitraka the OM1 has a mechanically timed shutter, and the OM2n an electronic one...

OM1n is manual only, with the 2n having aperture priority, automatic or manual exposure

The 1 is manual flash, the 2 having TTL flash, in aperture priority, with T series flash guns

OM1n, no battery test function (Hey, who needs it? The batteries last years!) The OM2n has one (although I'm not sure if it has the dreaded battery drain problem)

OM1n Viewfinder displays only exposure info (under/over or correct)
    OM2n Viewfinder displays selected shutter speed in aperture priority or exposure info in manual.

OM1n One mercury battery as standard (or one silver oxide with adaptor)
    OM2n two SR44 batteries

Now, I'm not fully sure, but it seems like you can just use one of these batteries instead of the adaptor. I cant post links yet, but if you go to watch battery dot co dot uk and type in bp-px625 its the only page that comes up. I mention this because the voltage is 1.35 so should be fine...

Apart from that they are virtually identical, including the appearance. All the accessories are the same except the OM2n hot shoe will not fit an OM1n.

I myself have the same kit as you And was in the exact situation as you too... not being able to decide between the two. As a personal decision, I have chosen that If I have some spare cash, I'll go for the OM1n. Simply because its a brickhouse, and there's no faffing about with the electronics. If the meter breaks down you can still use the whole camera with all shutter speeds and all (as far as I'm aware)

Like others say though, you cant go wrong with either mate. Whatever happens, enjoy it and have fun

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I went with OM-2sp, seller said it is in good condition. Hope that won't disappoint me.

OM-1n is a gem and looking a nice leather case for it.
    Last edited by baachitraka; 08-15-2011 at 02:12 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Finally, I have my OM-2sp. Good looking camera indeed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hope you enjoy the spot metering capability of the 2sp. That is the only feature that sold me on my OM-4.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin