Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,921   Posts: 1,522,092   Online: 729

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah, SP feature is very nice indeed. Hope one day I own OM-3(ti) too.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Both are solid and still very sought-after cameras. My third camera was the OM 1N (black), and it fitted my small hands perfectly. The only annoyance is that the screw-on (detachable) hot shoe is prone to cracking. This was the Achilles Heel of the entire Olympus system until the OM 4 came in, dispensing with it entirely. Replacement hot shoes for those that crack might be very hard to find now.

The spot metering on the OM4, along with highlight and shadow control, was a gatecrasher for its time. But the basics of photography are best learnt with basic cameras, and either the 2N or 1N will be adequate. Just cast an eye on the age and overall condition or either as all are now very well used.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    127 Format
    What's a little crack between friends?

I used a cracked hot shoe on my first OM1 for 33 years. It was missing an entire side! Still worked great.

Using a Vivitar 283 mounted on top of the camera caused the crack and I later got a little Sunpak and then a T-20.

So, although it was a great flash, just don't put a 283 on there and you should be fine.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The hotshoe could be easily cracked by imprudent overtightening of the locking screw, "splaying" the shape out and thus causing the crack and eventual breakage. It need not have a flash of any particular weight on it to break.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    The hotshoe could be easily cracked by imprudent overtightening of the locking screw, "splaying" the shape out and thus causing the crack and eventual breakage. It need not have a flash of any particular weight on it to break.
    I've never seen that happen on any of my OM1's. It seems the flat spot of the shoe bottoms out before the "wings" get spread. Maybe on an OM2 it's different?
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All my OM shoes are cracked (I think). They are still structurally sound, and function correctly.

I used to have two bodies that used the shoe 4. I bought a handful of cracked shoe 4's and keep a backup in my bag, but I have never had to use it.

IIRC, John Hermanson of zuiko.com fame prefers the easily cracked replaceable shoes to shoes that are permanently affixed to the pentaprism, because it is preferable to damage the shoes than the pentaprisms.
    Last edited by MattKing; 08-27-2011 at 12:09 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: missing critical "are cracked"
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bodies are cheap in the grand scheme of things, and you will likely own many in your life. I say focus on your lenses first, and grab whatever body comes along first for a good deal.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin