Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,536   Posts: 1,572,743   Online: 794

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pityacka View Post
    One guy posted diagrams as to dismantling the top and showed the inside. NOT for me. If the meter does not reactivate eventually, then I can still use it with a handheld meter.

I would NEVER dream of doing that with my working digital's, but with the prices of FM's and other manual models, I would buy a 'for parts' body in a New York minute, just to take apart and learn how everything works. There are lots of listings for non-working bodies. Buy a cheap one, take it apart, and see if you can figure out how to repair the meter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So here it is. The $34.33 Nikon FM I found on Ebay. Came with the lens. Everything seems to work correctly, with the exception of the light meter. I need to get a new battery for it, although the battery compartment looks clean, and doesn't have any acidic growth or anything. The only thing I can find wrong with it, is the rubber around the eyepiece. Its deteriorated significantly and will need to be replaced. Barely any scratches, no engravings, and everything clicks and winds as it should! More photos in the Flickr set.

NikonFM-0492 by ChristopherCoy, on Flickr

NikonFM-0491 by ChristopherCoy, on Flickr

NikonFM-0488 by ChristopherCoy, on Flickr

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You may also need to get new light seals for the body which are easy and inexpensive to get - if the eyecup is deteriorated, those foam seals may be bad too. But congrats on a great little camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well... I put a new battery in. And after reading the FM user manual, it would appear that the little red LED indicator on the meter doesn't work. Unless I'm doing something wrong, I guess I'll have to look into repairing this part.

Are meters expensive to replace/repair?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have an FM that I got a few years ago at a swap meet. The camera/meter kept draining the battery even with the thumb thing in the off position. I spent more than the camera cost me to try to fix it. Then the flash synch went out of synch and again I had it fixed for more than I originally paid. Then the little screw on top of the advance lever, the one about a half inch round and covered in leather, fell off in an airport somewhere. Keep an eye on yours. It is a nice little camera but not worth getting fixed.
    Dennis

Shooter
    35mm
    $70 would be a typical price on ebay--enjoy your bargain, it's a fantastic camera!

Shooter
    35mm
    Is the lens the 43-86?
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by perkeleellinen View Post
    Is the lens the 43-86?

Yup. Its the 43-86 3.5.

I thought about that last night. If that lens isn't an AI lens, then the meter wouldn't work anyway right? Is that what you are getting at?

I hope that's the case. I have a 50mm E series coming in today.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    According to THIS SITE the 43-86 thats on this camera is the later Ai version, introduced around 1976/77. The serial on it is 877236, and the information is printed on outside of the rim, as opposed to the earlier models which had the information printed on the inside. So I guess the meter really is broken.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherCoy View Post
    Is that what you are getting at?
    No, no, I was curious that's all.
    Steve.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin