Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,692   Posts: 1,482,405   Online: 705

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Whats a Nikon FM worth?

Hey guys. Just registered. I shot film in the 90's in high school, quit shooting all together, then came back to digital a few years ago.

I have an interest in shooting film again, and just won an auction on ebay for an FM. The auction ended at $34, which I am totally happy with, but I was wondering what these cameras typically go for in good condition.

One photog said excellent condition models go for $100-$150. Is this accurate info?

Looking forward to checking out the site. Thanks for any info!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    34 USD is very cheap. A great bargain.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Whatever you can get for it. If you bought to resell, then check the big auction site.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Check out KEH.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I checked out KEH this morning. The 'bargain' condition bodies still go for $80-$90, unless they have significant body damage. KEH is still a retailer though, so I didn't know how well their prices correlated to the actual market.

The $34 ebay find is supposedly in 'well kept' condition, and is being sold for an elderly neighbor without a computer. We'll see when it gets here I guess.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherCoy View Post
    I checked out KEH this morning. The 'bargain' condition bodies still go for $80-$90, unless they have significant body damage. KEH is still a retailer though, so I didn't know how well their prices correlated to the actual market.

The $34 ebay find is supposedly in 'well kept' condition, and is being sold for an elderly neighbor without a computer. We'll see when it gets here I guess.
    They sell them for that, look at other sources as a form of wholesale.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    When you get it and it is in great shape, consider yourself a really good eBay buyer and feel really lucky. That doesn't seem to happen much anymore (at least to me). I sincerely hope it is in great shape....those old FE's are such wonderful little cameras.

Don't be suprised if you may have to throw some money at it for a CLA. If the old guy had it he probably hasn't used it for 10 years, it may not work right until you put a roll or two through it or have it CLAed in which case you may end up with as close to a perfect old FE as you could ever hope to find. Let's hope the guy didn't use it much........what a gem that would be!!

Bob E.
    Nikon F5, Nikon F4S, Nikon FA, Nikon FE, Nikon N90, Nikon N80, Nikon N75, Mamiya 645 Pro, Mamiya Press Super 23, Yashica Lynx 14e, Yashica Electro GSN, Yashica 124G, Yashica D

Shooter
    35mm
    Priceless. I bought mine new, in the mid 70's, and it still performs flawlessly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bob,

I was planning on taking down to the local shop to have it cleaned and given a 'once over' just to make sure everything is where it is supposed to be. I still can't believe that the auction ended and I wasn't outbid.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I bought a used FM off ebay a fortnight back - cheap - because the 'meter not responding'. I have used it with a handheld meter, and the first two films through have come out perfect, using three different lenses. Apart from the meter not responding correctly, the camera is in exc+++ condition. I might even go for another FM.
    Re the meter, I have been told it may be dust, and to rotate the speed dial, and the ISO dial, and that may help. I am now getting reaction from the meter on occasions, - both + & - readings, besides correct exposure indication.
    Other suggestions are to clean the battery terminals.
    One guy posted diagrams as to dismantling the top and showed the inside. NOT for me. If the meter does not reactivate eventually, then I can still use it with a handheld meter.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin